What is it? CCXII

Set number 212 has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

Item 1179 is a horse measuring gage. Reads out in "hands" (4" increments). level is to make sure the arm used to measure the withers is level.
--
Mike

Remember companies do not pay taxes. They only collect

1179. Given it's marked in 4" increments I'd guess it's for measuring horses in "hands". Foldable for portability.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines
R.H. wrote:

Only 2 guesses this week.
1181 - Globe holder - missing the globe 1184 - a record turntable from directly above?
Howard Garner
1182--I have one. It's a knife sharpener.

Rather an eclectic collection this time...and I think I even know one or two!
1179 -- a gauge for measuring the height of something. I suspect horses, since it's graduated in hands and quarters.
1180 -- No real clue here. It kind of looks like it may be made for manipulating thread or thin wires, perhaps in threading a knitting machine?
1181 -- A globe stand, obviously without the globe. From the stand, it would appear to have been a rather fancy and moderately large globe.
1182 -- Looks to be some sort of a friction catch to hold a loop of cord or something similar in place. Precisely what for, I can't say; perhaps a cloth top on an automobile? But 1934 would be a little late for that, methinks.
1183 -- I assume this is used to set something else up. A projector? A rifle at a shooting range? A piano action when regulating it somehow? Very baffling.
1184 -- half of a mold for making a phonograph record?
Now to see other people's ideas....
--
Andrew Erickson

1184. Discus for Track and Field. Karl

    O.K. I'm hitting it rather late tonight.
1179)    My guess is that it is for measuring the level of a liquid     in a tank -- with the crossbar and level assuring that the     measuring stick is vertical and starts with the top of the tank.
1180)    My first guess is that it is for driving something (the end     of a cord, perhaps) into a hole -- with the sliding knurled     piece hitting the forked end under the force of the spring.
1181)    Looks like the stand for a fairly large globe of the Earth.     The angle seems to match the tilt of the earth, and the offset     neck at the bottom is to keep the center of mass over the center     of the base.
1182)    This looks more like a "roach clip" than anything else, but I     can't picture one being patented in 1934, nor can I see where     the patent number would be affixed. (Unless it is on a tag on     the chain. :-)
1183)    The key on it looks like old film winder knobs, suggesting     that it might be for leveling a camera.
1184)    Material could make a big difference in this one.
    Perhaps a wax master for recording a record.
    Perhaps a selenium solar cell.
    Perhaps a high-voltage insulator (but not *extremely* high     voltage, as it lacks the ribs for increasing the leakage track     length.)
    Now to see what others have guessed before going to bed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1180: maybe a wire cutter? Pull the knurled thing, release, and the spring raps a chisel that nicks the wire.
1181: I think it's a gnomon. The rod casts the shadow for a sundial (and the base is repositioned on a track according to season, for accuracy).
R.H. wrote:

1184 looks like a diamond saw blade to me .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

1179 - Horse measuring stick, measures in "hands," and inches, increments of four inches per hand. Marks between are half and quarter hands or just expressed as inches.
Example: 15 hands and three quarters - or 15/3 == 63 inches, medium sized light horse. They're only large size light horses when 16 to 18 hands and scary/fun as all hell to ride over fixed jumps. (ones that don't come apart if you hit one:)
The level is to aid accuracy. It is placed on the withers (highest point on the horse's back, just behind the neck), leveled, and the height read on the vertical stick.
R.H. wrote:

1184 looks like a wheel for a soap-box racer. Some years, the official wheels seemed to have very little rubber.