What is it? CCV

It's not upsidedown, but then I wouldn't say that it's right side up either, when in use it isn't at rest on a table.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Yes, I was thinking that it was probably glued, soldered or otherwise affixed to a headstone. I guess that we'll never know for sure but I thought that I would ask here in case someone had seen something like it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

As you probably already know, they do some pretty elaborate stuff with gravestone/monuments nowadays. If they haven't already, the person asking should check with some of the monument suppliers. Especially some of those that were close by to where this was found. A lot of the time they put a sticker on the monument that tells who the maker/supplier was. I suspect the cameo/picture had some special meaning to somebody buried there and was once attached to the monument (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk
1136: lumber thickness gage?

1140: kerosene lamp for candling eggs? Three backlights around a light-baffled kerosene light source, and the giveaway is the padded seat in front of each illumination panel

Reply to
whit3rd

The answer for this object: it's an ear trumpet, or hearing trumpet, it's held up to the ear to amplify sound.

A wide variety of them can be seen half way down this page:

R.H.