What is it? CCV

Page 2 of 2
R.H. wrote:

galvanic corrosion eats up the solder. In addition, the two metals expand and contract at different rates.

Yes, I was thinking that it was probably glued, soldered or otherwise affixed to a headstone. I guess that we'll never know for sure but I thought that I would ask here in case someone had seen something like it.
Rob
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:49:24 -0500, "R.H."

Hi Rob,
As you probably already know, they do some pretty elaborate stuff with gravestone/monuments nowadays. If they haven't already, the person asking should check with some of the monument suppliers. Especially some of those that were close by to where this was found. A lot of the time they put a sticker on the monument that tells who the maker/supplier was. I suspect the cameo/picture had some special meaning to somebody buried there and was once attached to the monument (shrug).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

The answer for this object: it's an ear trumpet, or hearing trumpet, it's held up to the ear to amplify sound.
A wide variety of them can be seen half way down this page:
http://www.phisick.com/zent.htm
Rob
1136: lumber thickness gage?
1140: kerosene lamp for candling eggs? Three backlights around a light-baffled kerosene light source, and the giveaway is the padded seat in front of each illumination panel