What is it? CCI

This set should be a little easier than the last one, only two of them are unidentified:

R.H.
1114: Wheatstone bridge: an arrangement of four resistors, a source of emf, and a galvanometer for DC measurements or something like an earphone or other audio transducer for AC measurements. In use, three of the resistances are known/calibrated, and the fourth is unknown. When the bridge is balanced, the galvanometer reads zero or there is no sound through the earphone, and the unknown resistance can be determined by the ratios of the other three resistances.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Darn, you beat me to it! It's a slide-wire Wheatstone, looks like a nice long scale and should be pretty accurate.

Reply to
DT

1112 I don't know the exact machinery involved but it's very similar to several tools we used in mechanical typewriter/copier/adding machine/ timeclock repair. Every dimension including thickness and width was a go/no go measurement so you could quickly check distances and see what's bent or out of alignment. I can't tell how flexible the metal is so I'm not sure whether that long arm sticking out would bend easily, otherwise I'd say it would slide under or around something to check a dimension.

If there's no name stamped on it, finding out what it's supposed to be used on is lost unless you find somebody who actually used it. And when I cleaned out my old tool kit last month I found a few that I don't remember exactly what I did with 'em. Every manufacturer had its own set of gauges and benders.

Reply to
else24
1111 - Coat hook - You can clearly see the letters "CK" for Calvin Klein. I'm so glad these were easy, although I HAVE heard of a Wheatstone Bridge.
Reply to
peter divergilio

I live not too far from the Whitestone Bridge and it looks _nothing_ like that.

RicodJour

Thanks! I'm not sure if the owner of it reads the newsgroups so I'll pass this info on to him.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It might look like one of the go/no go gauges, but I bought this tool at a local big box hardware store where it was sold for a different purpose.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

sure about the offset), or for drilling holes a set distance from the previous hole (since it's not adjustable for different distances, that's probably a lame guess).

110. Since the rollers aren't sharp edged, it's not for cutting and must be for crimping/corrugating sheet metal. It appears to be adjustable - you could swap the mating rollers to provide the correct spacing. In use...sheesh, maybe for crimping the end of sheet metal prior to working the interlocking edges for making a cylinder? The reduced/crimped end would nest inside the uncrimped end of another tube. So I guess it's for some sort of ductwork that doesn't require it to be watertight. 111. Huh? 112. Huh? 113. The tabbed end looks like it was meant to be mounted to something, so maybe something for cutting tube or bar stock on a bench. 114. I'm told it's the Whitestone Bridge, but I have my doubts. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Largely guesses this time 'round, not that that's too unusual.

1109 -- Evidently this is a little gear train, seemingly to cause the two shafts to rotate in opposite directions. One shaft appears to connect to a hand bit brace; the other possibly accepts a (missing) handle with a square shank held by a concentric setscrew. All of which leads me to believe this is a...ummm...never mind. Possibly a part of a window opening mechanism, either for an automobile or a casement window that could be mounted in an inaccessible location? Or possibly to roll and unroll an awning?

1110 -- This looks like a light duty rolling mill, for shaping something. Most commonly, rolling mills were used for hot metal, but that's clearly not he case here (with wooden rollers). Gauging from the patterns on the rollers, I'd guess this forms some inner piece of leather or similar material for a book spine.

1111 -- Maybe this hook was used to elevate a shaft from a supporting cradle.

1112 -- Ummm....looks like it should be somewhat familiar, but no idea how or what from.

1113 -- Clearly this is a bench-mounted shear, perhaps for cutting lengths of rope at a hardware store. It looks rather light-duty for metal cables, etc. of the diameter it accepts.

1114 -- This is likely a telephone troubleshooting instrument, probably capable of performing a number of tests (line loss, detecting shorts or grounds, etc.) The sliders and meter probably form a Wheatstone bridge for measuring resistances, and the earpiece and transmitter can apparently be switched into the circuit for practical testing.

Now to see what everybody else thinks...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Is this a cheap mortar joint raking tool?

Reply to
DT

Yes! It's a joint raker.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
1111, used to depress bucket type cam followers on VW Rabbit engine to change shims adjusting valves. used with shim puller,
different tools available for some Ferraris and Alphas.
Reply to
Stupendous Man

And here I was going to say it was a Roller-Smith Type B ohmmeter, and you go and provide USEFUL answers.... dang it. :-)

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto
1111 is a Sykes Pickavant automotive tool for removing tappet shims on an OHC engine. You can probably find the exact match and which engine in the online catalogue.
Reply to
Dave Baker

According to R.H. :

1109) Hmm ... it looks like something for driving a drill bit (of the brace and bit form) upside down. You chuck the tapered square in the chuck of the brace (or more likely an extension of some sort) and pop the actual drill in the square hole on the other side. (I presume that square hole has a similar taper.) 1110) It looks as though it is designed to roll pleats in cloth.

If the edges of the discs were sharper, and the grooves in the other roller were something other than wood, I would consider it as being intended to slice some wide material into multiple strips. (And it is interesting that there is some variation in the spacing between discs.

It also looks as though the top roller has short threaded sections to allow adjustment of the position of the discs.

1111) Looks like the inner curve is pretty consistent, and the back side has a tang of a narrower width, so I think that it might be a special tool for disassembling some fairly current object, perhaps something like removing a fusing roller from a photocopy machine --- but that is purely a guess. 1112) Looks like a multiple gauge -- the width of each projection is for checking and setting some part of a machine (again, like a photocopy machine). 1113) Looks like a cable cutter -- perhaps the other half is mounted on a long wood handle, or perhaps it is mounted on a workbench devoted to working with the cable in question. 1114) This looks like a form of a Wheatstone bridge. The four colors correspond to a choice of four standard resistors accessed through the sockets and plug.

The percentage scales are used when an external standard is put (probably between two of the three binding posts at the right, with the unknown between the other pair) so you read the resistance in terms of the percentage of the resistance of the standard.

The gal/tel switch allows you to either read zero on the meter (visible as a needle below the glass eye), or to listen for the quietest click on the headphone.

It looks as though it has a buzzer assembly wired through the hinges (presumably the wires do connect to the hinges, and the hinges connect to something below the board). That would be used as the "A.C." setting -- and if the frequency is stable enough, it could be used for measuring the impedance of capacitors or inductors, which would be pretty immune to the "D.C." measurement. Also -- the headphone would be easier to use in the "A.C." mode.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"RicodJour" wrote: I live not too far from the Whitestone Bridge and it looks _nothing_ like that. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wheatstone bridge--Whitestone Bridge. Like the difference between "Fire" and "fireflies."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Anyone who can't see the difference between a Wheatstone Bridge and the Whetstone Bridge should hone up his reading skills.

Reply to
Bill Rider

Thanks! I did some searching and found the exact same tool as mine.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.