what grits to sue when re-sharpening.

so far, so good... with the chisel that came out the best, I can even do that to oak

only went to 800. time again to experiment

thx shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

[...snip...]

Actually, the softwood is a better test than a hardwood like oak; if your edge isn't sharp, softwood will just kind of crumble away. The hardwood will stand up better to the not so sharp edge and you can get some kind of shaving.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

tried both, worked both times!

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

I recall when I was at school, many, many moons ago, the woodwork teacher used to show how he could shave his forearm (dry, with no effort) with a chisel or plane iron after he had sharpened it

Reply to
Stuart