What criteria should I use in buying a band saw?

Given that here in Australia brands may be different or unavailable, how best can you judge one against the other?
Mekon

Motor horsepower, table size, fit and finish, ease of adjustment, open versus closed base, number of spokes on the wheels
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Availabilty of a mate with whom to swap (blades / lies / parts)? <g>
-- Mark

by weight. get the heaviest one.
Of equal capacity - distance to other side of blade and under - the recommendation of the heavier is pretty good.
If you're in the 14" range, watch out for bargains with non-hinged covers - not worth it - fence included "bargains" the same. By the time you've adjusted it for your blade you might as well have clamped an ad-hoc variety, which would not have abdomen-goring horns sticking out all the time.
The 16" types appear a bad deal based on comments here when compared either below at 14 or above at 18 capacity.
Most important criterion of all, someone like a dealer obligated to help you whose face you can see, not some voice behind seven steps of voicemail jail. Worth 10% to me.