What can you with a lathe?

Page 2 of 4

[...]

So be careful if working it, its dust might be rather hazardous to your health.
I love this question. Almost as much as I love turning wood.
There was an old Craftsman lathe in my basement that belonged to my father. I looked at it for a few months and kept saying, "I should fire it up and see if I might like turning." Well I did almost a year ago and I discovered that I loved turning wood. I soon yearned for a newer, better lathe and bought one. Now my third lathe will be delivered this Friday.
I turned all of my Christmas gifts this year: lamps, rolling pins, pens sets, and bowls. Everyone loved them and was amazed that they were hand-made by me. I even managed to sell several bowls in the mean-time.
My next challenge will be a complete chess set. I havn't quite worked myself up to starting on that one yet. I am looking for the right design.
I do finish about 2 to 3 bowls a week, when the mood strikes me, and if I have the wood handy. I always have a few pen kits laying around and may knock one of those out once in a while. My true love is bowls though.
I have my father to thank for buying that used lathe on a whim and leaving it to me. He only used it once as far as I know and that was to turn a mallet which he gave me for Christmas one year about 10 years ago. I still have it and I still use it.
Wood turning is a wonderful and fulfilling hobby and that alone is a good enough reason to get even a small starter or pen lathe.
Leslie
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.

"NoNameAtAll" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam> wrote in message
NoNameAtAll wrote:

I own a mini and a midi lathe. One will turn up to 6" diameter the other over a ft. Both will turn small things, candlesticks, pens etc, but only the larger will turn things like bolws adequately. Let's face it, a <6" diameter bowl doesn't hold a lot of salad. On the other hand it makes nice small bowls for the dashboard (toll change) or next to the bed, pocket contents. What my wife likes about it is that she doesn't have to worry about presents, Xmas or otherwise. A fancy salad and soup set is a nice wedding present, homemade oraments are nice Xmas presents. If you have kids ANYTHING they make is a nice grandparent present. Just remember a big lathe can turn small, the other way doesn't work. Hope that helps, Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
On 14 Jan 2004 16:04:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

That's the trouble with woodturning. No real use for much, too much fun to leave alone. You get yourself a lathe and the next thing is you're turning everything in sight. There's a limit to how many turned mathoms a chap needs.
I compromised and bought my Dad a lathe instead. If I want anything round, I go and visit.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Like having a plane in the hand and eyeing the furniture for unbeveled edges...

You can always give them away on your birthday or bring them to the mathom house at Michel Delving...
Andy Dingley wrote:

You can say that again, brother! I haven't been able to leave the stupid thing off since I got it, but I have no real use for anything I've been able to produce with it. Especially since I'm using extremely green wood that warps like crazy as it dries. If I actually tried to use these spindles for anything, I'd introduce enough stress into the resulting piece to break nearly anything in short order.
So what I'm getting into personally is mushrooms. I got the idea from someone's (Darrell Feltmate's, http://www.roundthewoods.com/mushroom.shtml ) newbie projects site, and I've been having a blast making these stupid things.
I have no idea if the tool control I'm developing will prove useful for spindles eventually or not, but I'm really happy with my results. My mushrooms look at lot better (ie more like actual mushrooms) than Darrell's.
He says he sells a boatload of them at craft shows. SWMBO does craft shows. I'm using that as an excuse to turn all my little odd small branch scraps into mushrooms. What the hell. It gives me some justification to continue having fun anyway. That's the name of the game. :)
It's going to be a long time before I'm able to turn the chess sets which were my primary use for this thing.
I have a lathe. I have few practical uses for it. You've already figured out that a lathe is a blast to use. Immediate gratification and no matter what you make it looks cool.
Here's my advice and it's application goes way beyond whether to buy this lathe or not. It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission. See all the hassle you're going through trying to buy a lathe? You could have bought it, made her a bowl and a rolling pin and a matching candlestick, taken her to dinner, and be back in your shop by now using the lathe instead of talking about it.
-- Larry C in Auburn WA

shop class.

that I

it's
concede
have any

bat would

that. If you

usefulness of

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:58:18 GMT, "Larry C"

Even odds that if you make her the rolling pin you wear it for buying the lathe without asking first. Making something she can hit you with just doesn't seem smart.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Good point. Don't build any weapons for a week or two.
-- Larry C in Auburn WA

buy a

The voices in the head of snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) caused NoNameAtAll to write in

Just wait till she suggests that "WE" "need" something (womanspeak for "I want") then trade it off.
--
This sig free text brought to you by the letters s, i & g

If you can't afford to buy it...build it. I did. Check it out... http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/page5.html It aint pretty, it aint super accurate, but it works for me. I can always make modifications to make it better. I'm making bowls, drawer pulls, a dome roof for a bird feeder, a holder for a magnifying glass. Also, check out the very latest edition of Shop Notes. Have fun always. Joe kb8qlr
--
Be sure to check-out our webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html
On 14 Jan 2004 16:04:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

Bridger wrote:

Hey, I haven't tried that one yet. Thanks for the tip!

Now THAT'S the best one I"ve heard yet!
There's lots to do - bowls, plates, spindles, chair legs and so on.
It sounds like you want the lathe to produce a whole project. That it can do, limited only by what you think up.
If you're at all interested in chairmaking, you'll need one to make chair parts. This is where it's a lieutenant in the process of making something, like a jointer. You have a jointer, right? Yet the jointer itself does make a finished item, it is something that's used in the process. So it can be with a lathe.
On 14 Jan 2004 16:04:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

So how do you make a stair spindle that looks like rope which has been untwisted and hollow in the center? Can you do that on a lathe?
BTW you can make a set of salad bowls, matching and exactly the same size with so little measuring.
--
>Lazarus=A0Long wrote

>There's lots to do - bowls, plates, spindles, chair legs and so on.
As you can sense from the responses so far, most of us don't NEED a lathe. If we walked around our shop and had to pick the tool that is the most fun to use, we, who have them, would most likely pick the lathe.
While there are some weekend square projects, most of them take longer than that. With a lathe, from start to finished (that includes finish) is measured in minutes to hours. Some projects are useless, like the mushrooms mentioned. We call them "art" or "craft" depending on whether you have your lathe in a shop or studio :)
Some people buy a lathe as an extension of their love of wood and woodworking. Some find it so fascinating that they quit building square stuff. Many, as noted in the responses, will use it occasionally as therapy.
How do you justify that you need it? You don't. You want it. If you smoked a pack a day at $2 a pack (don't know what the price is, but this works for here,) you'd burn up $730 in a year. If you smoke, quit, and you have your budget. Then you'll have to worry about the dust in your lungs.
For a $730 budget I'd buy:
A used lathe or a Jet Mini with extension. ~$250 The $29.99 set of HSS turning tools from HF ~$40 A good quality 1/2 inch bowl gouge ~$50 A Talon chuck for the mini lathe or Stronghold for a full size lathe ~$200 Pen kits, book, wood. ~$60 That leaves $130 for some roses and a bauble for SWMBO. Or maybe a nice dinner out.
Gene

class.
that I

it's
concede
any
would
you
usefulness of

Dont own a lathe yet so my most fun stuff is the bandsaw and my crappy Stanley spokeshave.
TomL

Damn, when did those $29.99 sets go down to only $40 ;)
Dave Hall