What A Wonderful Use Of Wood

Trapped! Trapped! Say goodbye to the cabinets - you're a doomed man! :^)

No, really, lutherie is a gas, and I had 1/1,000,000'th of your experience when I tried my first one. I'm glad I don't need or care to earn a living from it, though.

Jim Kirby

Tom Wats> My wife gave me a Martin D-28 for my birthday, five years ago.

Reply to
James T. Kirby

At least I can still hear (sorta). Last Sunday I heard BB King in concert. Again.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Know the feeling...

Same here. But when a friend shows me his new acoustic guitar, I flip it up and peer inside and see a tiny little sticker that says Made in Korea - can't help but feel kinda sad... But you still have to smile and strum a few strings and comment on how nicely it wounds.

Can't help but remember the first time playing a Korean piano. Tight sound, good action, shy in the bass region, but not at all what I was _used_ to hearing. It was so... sterile... I suppose it's a personal thing. Like the wood was a little TOO tightly grained...

Yeah, give me some of that old, sloppy grained American wood. I want harmonics!

So I may take a stab at it - it couldn't sound any worse than my playing. Creating _nice_ sounding instruments is a black science...

Good Luck with your new obsession...

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Here in Los Angeles, there is a Mexican/American family, now in the 2nd or 3rd generation, that custom build acoustic guitars.

They build them strictly for the pros.

If you have to ask "How Much?", you can't afford.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Err, I have an Ibanez 12 string acoustic, not an Ovation. One of my ex's kept the Ovation I had and I have no recollection of what happened to my Martin DM12 other than possibly selling it for drugs in my younger days.

I want a hardbody 6 string, that's what I was thinking for building from some spalted maple. I don't think maple would make a good soundboard for an acoustic.

Reply to
Odinn

Not sure how good maple would be for a solid body. A maple cap on mahogany makes for a nice look and nice tone, but maple itself, I'm not so sure about.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

On 11/11/2005 7:55 AM Mike Marlow mumbled something about the following:

Les Paul TV model specs: Maple body, full 24.75" scale, neck meets body at 16th fret. By mid to late 1955 mahogany bodies are the norm for this model (serial# 5 57xx maple, 511xxx mahogany).

From Godin's website We use premium grade rock maple in the Detour, Radiator, SD, Exit 22, Freeway Classic and Freeway 4 & 5 models.

's of companies use maple for the body. It's all about the sound you want to get, and the weight you want to end up with.

Reply to
Odinn

Steve,

What a fantastic site. You do beautiful work. I intend to study your pages because one of my dreams is to build my own solid body bass. I have been reading up on it, and it seems so complex that I am literally afraid to put the time and money into it for fear that I will end up with some rather expenive firewood. Your site gives me hope.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in news:t8wcf.1541$c snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Greetings....

I know what you mean about the beauty of musical instruments...I bought the grizzly classical kit, and have been tinkering with it for a while now...it plays pretty good and sounds pretty good, and was easy to complete...mine had a very nice spruce top, with maple sides and a poplar neck...for the money I think you can turn out a decent instrument.... just my 2 cents....

DCH

Reply to
DCH

Thanks! I started by assembling instruments from purchased parts, but graduated to making them myself almost 4 years ago. I've only bought one body since--for a customer who wanted a Strat with a quilted maple body and a transparent red finish. It was more economical for him to purchase a body than for me to make one for him.

I'm conviced that anyone with good woodworking skills and an understanding of how these things are put together can do it!

BTW, Stewart-MacDonald

has a book that describes how to build solod-body electric guitars in detail--you might want to get a copy.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve