What A Wonderful Use Of Wood

Page 2 of 2

Odinn wrote:

Do you mean something like this one?
http://www.cyrguitars.com/12-String-001.jpg
Or did you mean an acoustic 12-string?
BTW, that DIYNet program was the thing that inspired me to try building an acoustic instrument, after building solid-bodies for three years.
--Steve
On 11/10/2005 12:13 AM Steve mumbled something about the following:

Err, I have an Ibanez 12 string acoustic, not an Ovation. One of my ex's kept the Ovation I had and I have no recollection of what happened to my Martin DM12 other than possibly selling it for drugs in my younger days.
I want a hardbody 6 string, that's what I was thinking for building from some spalted maple. I don't think maple would make a good soundboard for an acoustic.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Not sure how good maple would be for a solid body. A maple cap on mahogany makes for a nice look and nice tone, but maple itself, I'm not so sure about.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

http://www.specimenproducts.com/instru/blue.html
1955 Les Paul TV model specs: Maple body, full 24.75" scale, neck meets body at 16th fret. By mid to late 1955 mahogany bodies are the norm for this model (serial# 5 57xx maple, 511xxx mahogany).
From Godin's website We use premium grade rock maple in the Detour, Radiator, SD, Exit 22, Freeway Classic and Freeway 4 & 5 models.
http://www.hohnerusa.com/gbassbbass.htm
http://www.carvin.com/wood_finish /
Lot's of companies use maple for the body. It's all about the sound you want to get, and the weight you want to end up with.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Tom Watson wrote:

About the time I started building my first acoustic guitar in January, I found this web site, which has step-by-step illustrated instructions on building an acoustic guitar. It was very helpful to me.
http://www.hoffmanguitars.com/building_a_guitar.htm
Take a look--this is a great resource for the beginning guitar builder.
Also, you might consider a kit. They're available from Martin, from Stewart-MacDonald (www.stewmac.com), and Luthier's Mercantile (www,lmii.com). And there's at least one vendor on Ebay that sells acoustic guitar kits as well.
--Steve
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:42:54 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

I made a xylophone a few years ago that I really enjoyed making and playing, although I never practiced enough to get good at it. Finally gave it to the grandkids.
I've got a hankering to build a hammered dulcimer next, or maybe just a plucked one, but my project list is already long.
If you've got the time, have at it. At the very least you'll learn something.
Trapped! Trapped! Say goodbye to the cabinets - you're a doomed man! :^)
No, really, lutherie is a gas, and I had 1/1,000,000'th of your experience when I tried my first one. I'm glad I don't need or care to earn a living from it, though.
Jim Kirby
Tom Watson wrote:

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research
James T. Kirby said:

Know the feeling...

Same here. But when a friend shows me his new acoustic guitar, I flip it up and peer inside and see a tiny little sticker that says Made in Korea - can't help but feel kinda sad... But you still have to smile and strum a few strings and comment on how nicely it wounds.
Can't help but remember the first time playing a Korean piano. Tight sound, good action, shy in the bass region, but not at all what I was _used_ to hearing. It was so... sterile... I suppose it's a personal thing. Like the wood was a little TOO tightly grained...
Yeah, give me some of that old, sloppy grained American wood. I want harmonics!
So I may take a stab at it - it couldn't sound any worse than my playing. Creating _nice_ sounding instruments is a black science...
Good Luck with your new obsession... <g>
FWIW,
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Here in Los Angeles, there is a Mexican/American family, now in the 2nd or 3rd generation, that custom build acoustic guitars.
They build them strictly for the pros.
If you have to ask "How Much?", you can't afford.
Lew