What A Wonderful Use Of Wood

My wife gave me a Martin D-28 for my birthday, five years ago.

It is one of the most beautiful wooden objects that I own, if you can truly own such a thing.

Musical instruments have always been, to me, among the most wonderful objects that might be made of wood.

They are so much more alive than a hutch.

I am not a particularly good guitarist - I think that I maxed out at chord banging behind a bunch of guys singing CSNY and old Blue-Eyed Soul tunes.

My attempts at being Ricky Skaggs have resulted in something less than he is.

Wes Montgomery was always out of reach, but that is a recent conclusion.

Before my wife put a bullet in my misery, I purchase at least six books on the making of a guitar.

Fear kept me away from the making.

I'm thinking that I might try it now, as a lark.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Definitely check out

. I got a chance to see their MO showroom and it has a dedicated luthier shop. They have even more in their catalog. Good Luck Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

---snip---

I think it's a truism that the best musical instrument makers play, but aren't the best musicians.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Check out page 6 of November 2005 "Acoustic Guitar" magazine ... a full page ad using SWMBO's '77 Collings Custom OM cut-a-way.

Another beautiful piece of wood .... but it's got too damn many strings for me.

Reply to
Swingman

Ah, hell, ya'll bass men know that them two little bitty strings at the bottom is only for show.

Heee.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Tom;

I heartily recommend it! I've been building solid-body guitars & basses for about 4 years now, and up until this winter I'd been saying "I can do this, but an acoustic instrument--no way!"

Then last Fall I watched a 4-episode show on DIY Network called "Handmade Music" which chronicles the building of a D-28 style guitar by Lynn Dudenbostel, a luthier who lives in Chattanooga TN. I recorded all four episodes on my Tivo, and watched them again. And again. And I said to myself, "Shoot, I can do that!"

Here's the results:

Number One:

2 and 3:
4 (Still under construction):
one was in a sense a kit. I bought a pre-carved neck, and had the sides pre-bent. The top was a Martin-factory reject with the rosette already installed. The rest were scratch-built except for the sides, which I bought pre-bent.

There are a lot of resources on the Web that provide all kinds of advice & counsel on guitar building. You'll find that you'll be making all sorts of special tools and jigs, and that's part of the fun!

Take a look at these pages on my web site:

luck!

--Steve

Tom Wats> My wife gave me a Martin D-28 for my birthday, five years ago.

Reply to
Steve

Tom, the D-28 is a beautiful thing, you are lucky to have it. I couldn't agree more that wooden instruments are one pinnacle of the art, better still if you can play worth a damn, which I can't and never could. Certainly not worthy of a D-28.

I've always wanted to try building one, but have been fearful of the size of the task...do I have anywhere near enough patience, let alone skill?

But Martin does sell those kits...maybe a way to test the water and build confidence.

Best of luck if you take the plunge.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Ya know what's really disgusting?

Nazareth is just up the road a piece - and I've never made the pilgrimage.

It's sorta like the guy who grew up in Philadelphia and never visited the Liberty Bell.

(damn - that describes me)

I really need to start thinking about getting my shit together.

Before it's too late.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Go for it and let us know how it comes out. I've thought about it (making instruments) a number of times. Have two sons that are accomplished musicians. Youngest plays the upright bass. he's been through the classical, blue grass and jazz phases. Other son sticks to the electric bass and acoustic six string and is very good. Problem is they are better musicians by far than I am a woodworker.

And Swingman, if you read this, try to catch my neice, Rachel, at one of those little oprys around Richmond/Rosenburg. Tiny little girl, absolute treat.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Next to pool cues. :-)

?ViewItem&category=21212&item=7178644104
?ViewItem&category=21212&item=7187658830

Dhakala

On 11/9/2005 6:42 PM Tom Watson mumbled something about the following:

DIY just had a show on handmaking a D-28 replica. I just finished watching it. Lots of work going into it, but looked to be well worth it.

Reply to
Odinn

Was it the one that featured Luthier Lynn Dudenbostel? If so, it's the show that inspired me to build mine.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

A number of years ago, I attended some one-week summer classes at a college in West Virginia. The classes were mostly about music & dancing (mostly making the former and doing the latter), but they also has a number of "craft" classes, ranging all the way up to building a log cabin (they built it right there on campus). The classes were almost all about one week's duration, but there were so many that the whole program lasted about four or five weeks. Each week had some sort of "theme," such as "Dance Week" or "Blues Week" or "Bluegrass Week." This was a total immersion learning experience--you stayed in a dorm room, ate at the school cafeteria, went to classes during the day, attended evening concerts given by the instructors, practiced and/or played in jam sessions around campus 'til the wee hours, drank at the campus pub (where EVERYBODY played and sang better), rolled into bed, then got up and started all over.

Finally getting to the point, I remember that over the years there were a number of different instrument-making classes. In fact, one of my most wonderful memories was a concert in which the instructor in the guitar-building class was up on stage with a fellow named Robin Kessinger, and they just sat there and played off one another (flat pickin') still smoke started coming off their fingers. When they finished, bowed, and left the stage, the applause JUST WOULD NOT STOP (there was a STRICT no encore policy in effect). Well after a while, the Program Director came out on stage and asked the audience to please sit down and stop applauding so that they could get on with the program. Well, that didn't work, so after a while, they came out and asked again. When it STILL didn't work, they finally relented and sent the two of them back out for an encore. I'll never forget that.

My recommendation here is that you look into Augusta Heritage

or some similar program. I think you'll be delighted that you took the time. Who knows? Maybe your wife will sign up for a class too. Believe me, it's worth your time.

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach are instrument makers.

Reply to
LRod

That's the one and the same. Ever since I got my first Grizzly catalogue, I've been itching to build myself a 6-string to go along with my 12-string Ovation as well as an electric. I've got some nice red maple that I think would make a nice hardbody (after I spalt it, of course).

Reply to
Odinn

And here I was, considering the construction of a Western style acoustic guitar, and you post this. Played when I was much younger, but it never sounded quite a good as a professional (whatever THAT is) musician. I have a very old, nicely detailed solid body electric made in Sweden, but it just doesn't have the sound that a nice acoustic does...

Now I'm thinking, "What's the point?" It'll sound like crap when I get my hands on it anyway...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Do you mean something like this one?

did you mean an acoustic 12-string?

BTW, that DIYNet program was the thing that inspired me to try building an acoustic instrument, after building solid-bodies for three years.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

About the time I started building my first acoustic guitar in January, I found this web site, which has step-by-step illustrated instructions on building an acoustic guitar. It was very helpful to me.

a look--this is a great resource for the beginning guitar builder.

Also, you might consider a kit. They're available from Martin, from Stewart-MacDonald

and Luthier's Mercantile (www,lmii.com). And there's at least one vendor on Ebay that sells acoustic guitar kits as well.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

I made a xylophone a few years ago that I really enjoyed making and playing, although I never practiced enough to get good at it. Finally gave it to the grandkids.

I've got a hankering to build a hammered dulcimer next, or maybe just a plucked one, but my project list is already long.

If you've got the time, have at it. At the very least you'll learn something.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

which leaves me even lower than dirt- I can't play, teach or build instruments- my hearing is too far gone.

Reply to
bridgerfafc