What A Wonderful Use Of Wood

Page 1 of 2

My wife gave me a Martin D-28 for my birthday, five years ago.
It is one of the most beautiful wooden objects that I own, if you can truly own such a thing.
Musical instruments have always been, to me, among the most wonderful objects that might be made of wood.
They are so much more alive than a hutch.
I am not a particularly good guitarist - I think that I maxed out at chord banging behind a bunch of guys singing CSNY and old Blue-Eyed Soul tunes.
My attempts at being Ricky Skaggs have resulted in something less than he is.
Wes Montgomery was always out of reach, but that is a recent conclusion.
Before my wife put a bullet in my misery, I purchase at least six books on the making of a guitar.
Fear kept me away from the making.
I'm thinking that I might try it now, as a lark.
Definitely check out www.grizzly.com . I got a chance to see their MO showroom and it has a dedicated luthier shop. They have even more in their catalog. Good Luck Lyndell

Greetings....
I know what you mean about the beauty of musical instruments...I bought the grizzly classical kit, and have been tinkering with it for a while now...it plays pretty good and sounds pretty good, and was easy to complete...mine had a very nice spruce top, with maple sides and a poplar neck...for the money I think you can turn out a decent instrument.... just my 2 cents....
DCH
Tom Watson wrote:

I think it's a truism that the best musical instrument makers play, but aren't the best musicians.
On 9 Nov 2005 16:05:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach are instrument makers.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod said:

And here I was, considering the construction of a Western style acoustic guitar, and you post this. Played when I was much younger, but it never sounded quite a good as a professional (whatever THAT is) musician. I have a very old, nicely detailed solid body electric made in Sweden, but it just doesn't have the sound that a nice acoustic does...
Now I'm thinking, "What's the point?" It'll sound like crap when I get my hands on it anyway...
Greg G.
LRod wrote:

which leaves me even lower than dirt- I can't play, teach or build instruments- my hearing is too far gone.
On 9 Nov 2005 21:51:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

At least I can still hear (sorta). Last Sunday I heard BB King in concert. Again.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Check out page 6 of November 2005 "Acoustic Guitar" magazine ... a full page ad using SWMBO's '77 Collings Custom OM cut-a-way.
Another beautiful piece of wood .... but it's got too damn many strings for me.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Ah, hell, ya'll bass men know that them two little bitty strings at the bottom is only for show.
Heee.
Tom;
I heartily recommend it! I've been building solid-body guitars & basses for about 4 years now, and up until this winter I'd been saying "I can do this, but an acoustic instrument--no way!"
Then last Fall I watched a 4-episode show on DIY Network called "Handmade Music" which chronicles the building of a D-28 style guitar by Lynn Dudenbostel, a luthier who lives in Chattanooga TN. I recorded all four episodes on my Tivo, and watched them again. And again. And I said to myself, "Shoot, I can do that!"
Here's the results:
Number One:
http://www.cyrguitars.com/AG_ShesGotStrings01.JPG
Numbers 2 and 3:
http://www.cyrguitars.com/ABG5_TheTwoABGsTogether_small.JPG
Number 4 (Still under construction):
http://www.cyrguitars.com/AG12_NeckOnBody3.JPG
http://www.cyrguitars.com/AG12_NeckOnBody01.JPG
Number one was in a sense a kit. I bought a pre-carved neck, and had the sides pre-bent. The top was a Martin-factory reject with the rosette already installed. The rest were scratch-built except for the sides, which I bought pre-bent.
There are a lot of resources on the Web that provide all kinds of advice & counsel on guitar building. You'll find that you'll be making all sorts of special tools and jigs, and that's part of the fun!
Take a look at these pages on my web site:
http://www.cyrguitars.com/AcousticProjectPage.html
Good luck!
--Steve
Tom Watson wrote:

Steve wrote:

What a fantastic site. You do beautiful work. I intend to study your pages because one of my dreams is to build my own solid body bass. I have been reading up on it, and it seems so complex that I am literally afraid to put the time and money into it for fear that I will end up with some rather expenive firewood. Your site gives me hope.
Glen
Glen wrote:

Thanks! I started by assembling instruments from purchased parts, but graduated to making them myself almost 4 years ago. I've only bought one body since--for a customer who wanted a Strat with a quilted maple body and a transparent red finish. It was more economical for him to purchase a body than for me to make one for him.
I'm conviced that anyone with good woodworking skills and an understanding of how these things are put together can do it!
BTW, Stewart-MacDonald (www.stewmac.com) has a book that describes how to build solod-body electric guitars in detail--you might want to get a copy.
--Steve

Tom, the D-28 is a beautiful thing, you are lucky to have it. I couldn't agree more that wooden instruments are one pinnacle of the art, better still if you can play worth a damn, which I can't and never could. Certainly not worthy of a D-28.
I've always wanted to try building one, but have been fearful of the size of the task...do I have anywhere near enough patience, let alone skill?
But Martin does sell those kits...maybe a way to test the water and build confidence.
Best of luck if you take the plunge.
Paul
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:28:33 -0500, Paul Franklin

Ya know what's really disgusting?
Nazareth is just up the road a piece - and I've never made the pilgrimage.
It's sorta like the guy who grew up in Philadelphia and never visited the Liberty Bell.
(damn - that describes me)
I really need to start thinking about getting my shit together.
Before it's too late.

(making instruments) a number of times. Have two sons that are accomplished musicians. Youngest plays the upright bass. he's been through the classical, blue grass and jazz phases. Other son sticks to the electric bass and acoustic six string and is very good. Problem is they are better musicians by far than I am a woodworker.
And Swingman, if you read this, try to catch my neice, Rachel, at one of those little oprys around Richmond/Rosenburg. Tiny little girl, absolute treat.
Frank

Tom Watson wrote:

Next to pool cues. :-)
http://www.showcasebilliards.com/showcase_cues/individual_cues/01032_cue.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category !212&itemq77114513
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category !212&itemq78644104
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category !212&itemq88081618
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category !212&itemq87658830
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category !212&itemq89829292
On 11/9/2005 6:42 PM Tom Watson mumbled something about the following:

DIY just had a show on handmaking a D-28 replica. I just finished watching it. Lots of work going into it, but looked to be well worth it.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn wrote:

Was it the one that featured Luthier Lynn Dudenbostel? If so, it's the show that inspired me to build mine.
--Steve
On 11/9/2005 8:53 PM Steve mumbled something about the following:

That's the one and the same. Ever since I got my first Grizzly catalogue, I've been itching to build myself a 6-string to go along with my 12-string Ovation as well as an electric. I've got some nice red maple that I think would make a nice hardbody (after I spalt it, of course).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???