western red cedar grain

I use western red cedar to make fishing lures. After cutting them out to shape I normally dip them in a sanding sealer. The sanding sealer though causes the wood grain to really rise. I need to seal the baits tho in some way before going to a primer. Does anyone have a suggestioin for me?

Thank you!!

II

Reply to
countinsheep

I just ran a damp cloth over them Bob and boy did it ever raise the grain!

II

bOb wrote:

Reply to
countinsheep

Seal them with epoxy. paint them. Clear coat them with epoxy. also, bass wood makes excellent lures.

Reply to
Myxylplyk

Myxylplyk wrote: > Seal them with epoxy. paint them. Clear coat them with epoxy. > also, bass wood makes excellent lures.

I'm with you until the clear coat with epoxy.

Since epoxy has no UV inhibitors, makes a lousy final coat for outdoor items.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A fishing lure? Is he going to lay it out on the lawn for days on end and tempt the fish to come ashore?

I think that he can safely ignore UV problems.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Thanks for the help guys. I use an epoxy-type product designed for clear coating bar tops as a final coat. What I was hoping to find is a product that would seal the wood before I primer it. Perhaps there is a primer that would both seal and prime it? I want to have an additional layer of protection below the clear coat and of course must have the white primer as a base to paint the lure pattern on.

II

Reply to
countinsheep

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
Myxylplyk

What "epoxy" do you use? Are you talking about something like Devcon 2 ton? And then you thin it with acetone....is that right? When you say to use a "long cure but thin it and treat it like a 5-min epoxy" what do you mean? Does the thinning spead up the reaction/drying time?

After the epoxy is on then what do you use as a basecoat primer?

Thank you!!!

II

Myxylplyk wrote:

Reply to