Waxing Wood Screws

It reduces the friction when you drive the screw -- decreasing the chance that you will slip the head or strip it, or even snap off the head.

I coat the bottom half of the screw in the same furniture wax (Trewax) that I use for the final finish coat.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I think we've blundered into discussing a different sort of screw...

Reply to
Joe Wells

I think Hygroscopic deals with the property of drawing moisture from the air (humidity) and hydroscopic deals with drawing water in its liquid form. There must be a chemist among us to clarify.

Reminds me of Dr. Nick Riviera's (The Simpson's) revelation in the ashes of his clinic, next to the oxygen tank, when he proclaimed, "So flammable and inflammable are the same thing?"

Reply to
Mike

Swingman responds:

Ah, memories are made of this! Crew cuts with the front standing straight up, longer hair with Wildroot Cream Oil (did anyone every know what kind of wild roots were used?), and Vitalis, which, IIRC, was mostly a combo of alcohol and oil.

Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Charlie Self

Tom Quackenbush asks:

Hygroscopic means that it readily takes up and retains moisture, which is what I meant.

Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ahh, Brother ... thanks for the memories! I forgot all about "WildrootCreamOil". As a kid, listening to a lot of Cajun patois on the radio, I loved the way that name rolled off their tongue as one word. We'll start talking about Hadacol if we're not careful.

Reply to
Swingman

And how many remember "Cookie, Cookie. Lend me your comb."?

Reply to
RonB

That's Kookie, Kookie.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:50:38 -0700, "Charles Spitzer" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Please quote source.

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick

As in Ed "Kookie" Burns = 77 Sunset Strip

How many remember Odells Hair Trainer ?

Your hair would stay in place in a Cat 4 hurricane.

Reply to
Conase

His son, Logan Byrns is a newscaster in CT. I think he uses the old man's comb.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh yeah - right! I would still like to own that T-bucket roadster he tooled around in.

Reply to
RonB

Turpentine disolves candle wax. I keep a jar of disolved candle stubs (about the consistancy of mayonaise) in the shop and ready to use.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen

Yes, it does. It also dissolves most other waxes.

Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self