Waxing Wood Screws

Page 3 of 3
I bought a cheap toilet bowl ring (wax), broke it up and dumped it into a soup can, then heated it w/ a propane torch so it would melt and settle. Works like a champ. Grandpa
Rolling Thunder wrote:

"Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

Geez Grandpa that was starting to sound like a homeless persons supper recipe.
Grandpa wrote:

Are toilet bowl rings still made of beeswax? The ones at my local hardware store store don't say what type of wax they're made from. I'm guessing that the manufacturers have found something cheaper than beeswax to use.
R, Tom Q.
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:43:38 -0500, Tom Quackenbush

I dunno, but I've found canning wax to work well at a low price.
Barry

The wax provides lubrication to help prevent the screw from breaking. Candle wax works, beeswax is better.
"Swingman" wrote in message news:...

"Butch Wax"! ... that was the name of the pomade.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Ah, memories are made of this! Crew cuts with the front standing straight up, longer hair with Wildroot Cream Oil (did anyone every know what kind of wild roots were used?), and Vitalis, which, IIRC, was mostly a combo of alcohol and oil.
Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Ahh, Brother ... thanks for the memories! I forgot all about "WildrootCreamOil". As a kid, listening to a lot of Cajun patois on the radio, I loved the way that name rolled off their tongue as one word. We'll start talking about Hadacol if we're not careful.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:42:20 -0600, RonB wrote:

That's Kookie, Kookie.
-Doug

As in Ed "Kookie" Burns = 77 Sunset Strip
How many remember Odells Hair Trainer ?
Your hair would stay in place in a Cat 4 hurricane.

His son, Logan Byrns is a newscaster in CT. I think he uses the old man's comb.

Oh yeah - right! I would still like to own that T-bucket roadster he tooled around in.

It reduces the friction when you drive the screw -- decreasing the chance that you will slip the head or strip it, or even snap off the head.
I coat the bottom half of the screw in the same furniture wax (Trewax) that I use for the final finish coat.