Wax removal from bare oak?

I have a white oak chest of drawers that purchased as unfinished furniture about 15 years go. The only finish it has had is several coats of good paste wax.
I would like to remove the wax and put a better finish on it.
What are some good ways to de wax it and what clear finishes would be best to use on something that previously had wax in the bare wood?
If it were metal, cleaning it would be a no-brainer. How much of a problem is the wax that has worked it's way into the wood grain?
Rico

Naphtha and a soft bristle brush should get it off and out of the pores.

Toothbrush or larger fine brush and mineral spirits to dewax. Naphtha to finish dewaxing and rinse. Then Waterlox to refinish.

A lot in the larger pores, not so much in the teensy ones which the finish can span both physically and chemically.