water based poly.

I used oil base poly on my interior windows and trim. I have added some display shelves above some of the windows .If I use a water based polyurethane will there be a difference. thanks
Gary wrote:

Yes. The water based poly doesn't yellow with age, so you might want to stain the new woodwork to approximate the aged oil poly prior to finishing.

Additionally, the water based varnish will not yellow immediately upon application either. The water based varnishes will give wood a truer color.
Or tint the poly with yellow TrasnsTint dye from www.homesteadfinishing.com

I assume you are asking about the finished appearance ot the shelves vs. the frames. About the best answer you can expect is "it's possible." Sometimes even using the SAME product in 2 different places at different times will produce different results. Generally water based finishes do not darken or amber the wood like an oil based finish. There are some tinted waterbased products, or you can stain to match first. If you already have the WB on hand you'd best to a test first. Perhaps the manufacturer of the OB poly on the shelves can advise here, or ask at a real paint store. Even if you get the official word from the manufacturer or from a knowledgeable paint supplier, I'd recommending testing first.
I see that this sounds somewhat negative, but I don't mean to make it sound difficult. You should be able to get an acceptable match ot the shelves & window trim, it just may take some playing around.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net