Was: rewiring PC557for 220V

Hello,
It took me a while to get my scanner going and by now the original post is way up where nobody probably is looking at anymore, therefore I am posting a new thread.
Here is the partial scan of the Parts List that mentiones both wiring modes: 120V and 230V.
http://www.culbertfamily.com/jenya/PC557/PC557%20wiring.jpg
I sent a question to PC as well.
Jenya
WOW, a pic IS worth a thousand words, isn't it. As you can see, the diagrams are the same for both voltages, except for the capacitor. I expect the capacitor is for arc suppression, which is more of a problem at 240 than at 120V.
Since the winding configs are the same, the only way the voltages can be different is for the windings to be different. SO, you need a transformer. It's probably cheaper to buy another router, unless you need a big transformer for something else. The transformer doesn't need to be rated for the full load current of the machine, because you rarely load it fully and because transformers can take considerable overloads for short periods. You would probably be ok if the transformer is rated for 3/4 of full load current. Shop carefully for the transformer. They are very expensive from any sort of place catering to travelers, but are cheaper from surplus places, chinese tool dealers, and second hand from other travelers. Wilson

modes:

I'll betcha the part numbers for the motor are different, depending on which voltage it's used for. :)
The capacitator does look to be for arc-suppression, postulating a real "brush-type" motor. assuming it is a fairly small-valued capacitator.
More common, is to find one wired _across_ the switch contacts; serving the same purpose for when the switch is opened/closed.

Indeedy.
all good advice! :)