Wanna Free 50' Walnut Tree?

        4 Days     KansasCity.com          FREE 50' WALNUT TREE. Good solid wood. You cut & haul(or transplant). Must climb to cut in sections. In town, Independence, near Truman & Crisp. (816) 833-3075
Publication Source KansasCity.com
Hmm...you think UPS would haul that bugger up to Wisconsin?
--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
Sorry, it is not my tree found it on today's Classifieds Ad.

Jeff, I know a walnut tree in Oconomowoc that you can have for free if it's still there. Probably 20 feet straight. Problem is, it's right next to the (nice old Victorian) house, with much of it on a large branch well above the roof. Guy whose tree it is wants it gone, and would prefer not to have to pay for it. Lots of good wood, but unless you have the right equipment, I wouldn't tackle it (which is why I didn't). Email me (my address does work) if you want details.
Dave Hinz
Thanks Dave but I don't even own a chainsaw. Of course, I do remember chopping down a tree with the claws on a hammer when I was a kid...
--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The

That's...dedication. I looked at the walnut tree for the guy a few months back, and it's got some great lumber in it, but the thought of dropping a huge tree on his house, his pool, his car, his neighbor's house, and whatever else, kind of cooled my enthusiasm for the project.
Couple grand worth of wood, but a couple grand worth of work.
Dave

Reminds me of a time when our neighbor was clearing some of his property and dropped a tree on my brother's car... crushing the roof in the process. So much for saving a few bucks by taking the trees down himself... ;-)
John
Reminds me of the time a freind if mine hired a professional to remove a tree so it wouln't fall on the fence around his tennis court. The professional dropped it right on the fence.

Well, the good news is that the pro was (hopefully) insured, so the fence ended up replaced anyway. It's not so much a "nothing bad will happen", it's a "if something bad happens, it gets taken care of properly" kind of thing. I'm fairly confident that I could have dropped that walnut tree without hurting anything or anyone, but (a) it would have taken all of two weekends, and (b) "fairly confident" isn't an absolute.
On 25 Jan 2005 18:36:17 -0800, the inscrutable "SteveC"

The difference is that the pro was insured and the guy didn't have to pay for the new fence OR put it up. Works for me. ;)
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Ask a smart-ass question, get a serious answer. :)
"Yes. As long as it is in pieces that are under UPS's max dimensions, and under the max. weight per piece restrictions."
Comment: "motor freight" will probably be *much* cheaper.
Note: I've had wooden mop/broom handles shipped to me, via UPS. The _entire_ packaging was a stick-on address-label.