walnut sunflower oil will not go rancid

read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get so am trying that out on some stuff a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral oil and it is cheaper too was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad

Reply to
Electric Comet

I've not tried sunflower oil for furniture but walnut oil is excellent. As for finding it, try in any decent supermarket -- it is a favorite edible oil.

Reply to
BenignBodger

i have been keeping an eye out but need to look at some of the high end stores that i never go to

Reply to
Electric Comet

Hey Comet, I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

a search using g00gle indicates a variety of opinions as to whether WO goes rancid or not Caveat emptor, as usual, I guess...

Reply to
bnwelch

surprised that there are differing data on the internet ernie conover gave real data that he used walnut oil

it is possible that his example is tricky because they were for a salad bowl and salad tongs

both of those get washed regularly so there are no problems in his case

Reply to
Electric Comet

There are a lot of so called French Models on the internet.

Reply to
Leon

Don't they polish with shellac (and a few drops of mineral oil)?

I tend to defer to Flexner for questions about finishes.

"Still other oils, such as walnut oil, soybean oil, and safflower oil, are semi-curing: They cure very slowly and never very hard. They are only marginally effective as finishes."

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Ten years ago, bought a pint of mineral oil at the drug store for our three cutting boards, still have a bit left. Cost differences over time are too small to matter. Does not affect taste of food, does not become rancid, has not become sticky or gummy.

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..

Reply to
Larry Kraus

alternatives are good to have

some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing on the label

Reply to
Electric Comet

BonJOR!

Reply to
krw

i have not bought from them i usually buy consumables locally especially if they are liquid i have a few more places to check locally although it is not urgnet i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local at such a good price

Reply to
Electric Comet

I've found the walnut oil in the health food section at our local Fred Meyer (a NW chain) rather than in the normal salad dressing area. Might double check there, if your supermarket has such an area...

...Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Miller

usually the more expensive stores have a more diverse selection of stuff like this

i just have to get to one of them since i am not a regular

Reply to
Electric Comet

Be aware that "tung oil" is notorious for not actually being tung oil, especially if the label says anything like "tung oil finish." One of the magazines (probably Fine Woodworking) did an article on that in the last year or two, listing the various brands and what the actual (or at least apparent) content was.

They ranged from pure tung oil all the way to straight BLO.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

I think castor oil would be better for that...

Reply to
bnwelch

i think that was another part of the reson i bought online i did finally find just tung oil and nothing else in it

Reply to
Electric Comet

mineral oil can also work and i heard castor oil has a very nasty taste mineral probably not good tasting either but i heard castor can induce vomiting

i have never use either for that purpose now i wonder if castor oil provides a good wood finish

Reply to
Electric Comet

If it's pure, you have to be very patient. It takes ages to cure. Once cured, it's food safe but is a powerful emetic (IIRC) until then. Graham

Reply to
graham

i discovered that long cure time i gave it as a gift before it was finished curing and said let it sit for a while until it is not gummy at all

would not surprise me that it is an emetic probably most oils that cannot be digested are

Reply to
Electric Comet