Walnut/Pure tung oil

I would appreciate some info on using pure tung oil (50% oil 50% mineral spirits) finish on the INTERIOR of a hope chest. There will only be a lift out tray of cedar as I do not want to hide the walnut. Main question is will the tung oil finish (after it's allowed to dry for about a week or so) impart an odor or oily residue on the items stored so should I use some other finish on the interior?If so what? Thanks Lee
"Lee" wrote in message

Personally, I would not use any oil finish on the interior of a chest meant for cloth storage.
Simply shellac the interior, it will impart no odor after drying ... and you will be pleasantly surprised what an amber de-waxed shellac will do to unstained walnut. But, as always try it on some scrap in case you want to stain lightly to match the oil finish on the exterior.
FWIW ... just my tuppence, IME, IMO, etc.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Lee wrote:

I like shellac also - good choice on walnut. Keep in mind that if you finish the cedar, it won't have it's aromatic and moth-repellent properties. Andy