Wall-Hanging Weight Limit

I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

- Saul

Reply to
saulgoode

A stud will surely hold at least 65 pounds. I would be more concerned about the screws since they have no support in the wallboard and since they aren't made of especially strong material. Jim

Reply to
Jim

What's the object that you want to hang? How about a french cleat?

Reply to
Larry Bud

I could always use lag bolts. I just want to make sure I don't bow the studs, or cause any structural integrity issues. I figure the studs'll be just fine, but I wanted to double-check since I'm not a home-building expert. 130lbs in my mind isn't that heavy, but I've been wrong before...

- Saul

Reply to
saulgoode

How far out from the wall does it project? If the projection is minimal, then the bending moment on the studs will be small.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

It's a fish tank, actually, mounted like this:

'm using a flat cleat (w/o the 45deg wedge) 2x4 to mount on the wall. Depth is 7".

- Saul

Reply to
saulgoode

The studs will hold it just fine. You don't need near that many screws either. Get an inch, inch and a half of two #8 or #10 screws into the studs and you are good to go. I suspect the 50# you mention is pull out force rating, not shear. ________________

Think of it this way: suppose you had a stud wall that isn't closed up. Now screw a short piece of wood across one. Could you stand on it? Of course you could - most all of the force from your weight is downward, not out.

- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I think most of my kitchen cabinets with the dishes/plates etc. will weight over 130 pounds. These are typically covering only 1 or 2 studs. I do have

1/2inch plywood behind for the few which did not span two studs.

These are all held up with four screws. If I recall I went with #10 or #12 and about 2.5 in length. I use bugle headed screws with finishing washers (these are dished). I was more concerned about the head pulling through the cabinet than the screw pulling out.

The cabinets have been in place for several years with no sign of sagging.

In my case, the studs are assisted by the plywood from pulling out of the header. In your case I expect you just have dry wall.

The two studs can easily take the 130 pound load from a compression standpoint. Think about the weight they may presently be holding up from the house.

I would try and reach across 3 studs, or else install some wooden piece about the tank to reinforce the stud/header connection.

As for screws, I expect #10 or #12 with length to go into the stud 2 inches should work. If you really want overkill, use 1/4in lag screws. If your eventual choice does not have hex head, then pre-drill to minimize rounding off the screw. I would even pre-drill if you use lags. I have broken more lags than I care to remember.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Upper kitchen cabinets loaded with dishes easily exceed the weight that you are talking about. The studs will be fine just put a couple of screws in each stud.

Reply to
Leon