Viewing via Google, I no longer get trees on the left side...???

Sometime last week I think it was, the thread hierarchy stopped appearing in Google on the web, but near the top there is a link, right below the thread title, "View as tree".

I find it irritating not to be able to see the tree, or to have to click an extra link to get to it: does anyone know if I can change this back?

Thanks, H

Reply to
hylourgos

Connor Aston

It pays to look at the Help provided by the application you're running. Look at this link from Google's Help...

Mike Marlow

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I had already done that. But the instructions there don't accord with what I'm seeing on my screen (iMac G5 w/ OmniWeb 5.1.2).

For example, their note:

"To change the default view for the list of recent threads, go to any group homepage. In the top right corner, just under the yellow bar, you'll see two choices. You can view the threads with message text or with titles only."

On my screen under the yellow bar of the wreck's opening page is "sort by relevance" and "sort by date".

Their subsequent note:

"To change the default view for the thread page, click on any thread with more than one message. By default, you'll see the conversation view with all messages in the post displayed vertically. To change your default to a tree view which shows the relationships between messages, scroll to the top post and click the "view as tree" link under the thread title. Once you've clicked the link, all threads will be displayed in the tree view. To change your default back to the conversation view, click the "No frame" link in the left pane of the tree view."

...doesn't change the *default*, it just allows you to switch between views on any post. I don't want to have to switch the view on every post I look at to see the tree view. I want it to come up that way, and can't figure out how to change the default. It's not in my Preferences link either.

Still not seeing trees, H

Reply to
hylourgos

Hmmmmmmm... I just went to google and went to this group. Selected "view as tree" and jumped back and forth between several threads, always ending up in tree view in every thread. Of course, you jump out of tree view when selecting the newsgroup itself, in order to see all of the threads, but when I selected any thread, it opened the thread in tree view.

I don't use google for usenet, so I don't have an account that I log into. I just go to the google groups site. Not sure what differences there would be for those who actually log in. Try just going out to google and not logging in.

Question - why use google for news? Does your ISP not offer usenet? Google is half baked for usenet, at best. I'd certainly suggest a real netnews service over goggle any day.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I mostly use it because it's good, free, requires no setup, it's faster, it's super easy to use, it has the same interface for recent posts as it does for the archives, and I can post from any machine that's on the internet with a browser.

What am I miss> > Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I had already done that. But the

Reply to
Mike Reed

For one thing Mike, it seems that Google uses top-posting, which is generally considered to be a no-no on usenet.

The polite way to reply to a post is to remove all unnecessary bits, leave only the context that you're replying to, and then put your response below the bit that you're replying to.

Aside from netiquette issues, the biggest advantage of a real newsreader for me is speed. The newsreader downloads all of the unread headers and I can scan hundreds or thousands of thread subjects at a once rather than having to refresh the page all the time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

All right Mike - you're not fun at all. You use google, and yet you include the text you're replying to. Wassamatta with you? I thought it was written somewhere in the google end user agreement that one could not do that.

Yes, you can do all of those things, but I was expressing my own personal opinion earlier and I'm no fan of browser based netnews. I've never seen an interface I like. Personal preference.

I'm not much of a kill file user. Like you, I can find my way to the next post. But - binaries are missing when you use google. Don't know if you look at alt.binaries.pictures.nude.woodworking at all, but it's worth subscribing to. It was a much better group to subscribe to when there were some wimmin posters here, but Swingman and JOAT drove them all off by posting pictures of themselves every day...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Chris, Thanks. Now tell me if this worked correctly.

Gray-haired newbie. TomNie

Reply to
Tom Nie

How about missing the wherewithall to withdraw your support from a company that is actively censoring the net so that it can gain access to the Chinese "market"?

Kowtowing to communists for money. Google is pathetic.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Almost perfect, except you forgot to attribute the quote properly (see above the "Tom Nie" writes:")

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Ok, you win. Good point. Never mind. :P

Reply to
Mike Reed

For some mysterious reason, it's gone back to displaying the tree hierarchy when I open up any thread. Must've been the goat sacrifices I tried last night....

I have struggled with using a reader for some time, even made a few half baked attempts, but they didn't work and I didn't have time to follow up. Story of my life.

No doubt I'll do it someday and think, "darn, I wish I'd done that a long time ago."

But for now at least, I'm back in the forest and can see the trees.

Epimetheanly yours, H

Reply to
hylourgos