Video of My Table Saw Out-feed Table

Page 2 of 2
Larry Jaques wrote:

Qwest phone + slowest DSL + all the added fees was running right around $100/month for us. A friend started offering high speed internet service for $45/month and when I finally told Dave to sign me up, the throughput rate was about double Qwest's, and he threw in phone service for another $5/month (actual monthly total billing is $51.09). CID, call forwarding, etc all included in the $5/month.
They brought out a new modem and I retired my old Cisco 675 - then a couple of weeks ago Carol ("I hate computers!") decided that she might want a laptop. I called Dave to find out what I needed to buy so that Carol could have a wireless connection. The answer was "Don't buy anything - you already have everything you need. We can walk you through the modem setup over the phone when you get the laptop."
What made it interesting is that he's buying everything from Qwest at wholesale rates and selling a lower, but still profitable, retail price. The "Customer Service" folks at Qwest couldn't understand why I didn't want to go back. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I'm now paying $72/mo for phone (cid and vm) and DSL. I was paying Dish $129/mo for Starband internet and TV (180 ch + dig FM). I gave up the TV and am happy ever after...if I could get faster DSL. Caching delays for Netflix suck. It reminds me of Dish uploads.

Cool!
I tried one of the Qwest resellers a few years ago and it ended up costing $3 and change more per month. I was NOT impressed.
-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

I bought a Netzero e-mail account years ago for 9.99/yr and it came with thirty hours / month of "free" dial up access. I found it a real blessing when traveling through the hills of East Tn looking for property and staying in the least expensive motel rooms I could find. They didn't have HS Internet/Wireless connections - but the had a free local calls phone and that was all I needed to e-mail, fax (in/out) etc.
I have a local only phone - no long distance service - cheapest thing I could get up here in the hills and use 800 numbers and phone cards to do the long distance calling.
We went to Netzero HS last year and can use it from our Northern and Southern abodes simultaneously which means we have two connections for $15/month. If I could find a router with an RS-232C port, I might be able to network both computers to the same dial-up connection when the wife is with me.
As my Grandmother would say, watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.""

Not just an RS-232C port, go for one with a builtin modem. The graphite and snow Airport models (Apple made them compatible with Windows as well as MacOS setup tools), and Lucent/Orinoco early routers had Ethernet, WiFi, and modems builtin. Used ones can't be too pricey; Apple model numbers are M8440, M5757, and some (not all) A1034; Lucent model RG-1000.

You could pick up a cheap old computer and put a hardware modem in it and run free router software like Freesco. The two issues you'll run in to are modems dieing and finding replacement hardware modems. Software modems (those that require Windows, Winmodems, etc) don't play nice with older hardware.
I run with a Freesco box for years to share a dial-up connection. It was solid and the only troubles we had were with modems.
Puckdropper
--
Time to show XNews where my signature file is...

Hoosierpopi wrote:

After being smooshed by the youtube processors, it's only 18megs. Can you download that?
--

-MIKE-

It will take him 45 minutes minimum
Hey, part of it loaded - got a bit of audio ("alright, here's the a . . .") and a nice image of the project (frame one, I suspect).
Very substantial in appearance.
I wonder if anyone has attempted or succeeded in building one using the torsion box approach? I built a table for a handicapped fellow using that approach (it had to be light to hang on steel shelving supports allowing clearance for the wheel chair) and (noticing the thickness of your project) thought it might be ideal for such a TS Extension - light and all that.
"out feed table made for my new to me Delta Table saw..." It's still coming in!
I noticed a cut out that appears to be under the fence. and another "behind" the blade. I am assuming the second is for the blade guard. But what is the first one I mentioned for?
"you can see down here..."
Wow, is that massive! It looks as if it's framed with a 2 x 6 and "topped" with two 3/4" thicknesses of particle board.
I got to the Miter Slot and had to get off line.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

I thought of that and almost bought an interior door for it. Someone else in here pointed out that those luan doors are torsion boxes made from wood veneer sandwiching a cardboard honeycomb. I have shelves made from replaced interior doors that are holding up a lot of weight, and yeah, you can lift those doors with one hand.
I decides against using a door for several reasons. I already had all these leftover materials sitting around. I wanted a very smooth top and would have to treat the door surface in some way (that luan isn't exactly slick). At 20 bucks, the door would've tripled my budget. :-) I spent 10 on the piano hinge.

Yes, one for the guard. The other two for the miter slots. The fence was sitting on top of one of the slots.

The frame of the bigger section is mostly 2" wide boards-- 3 sides poplar with a tuba-four on the hinge side. That's the width the leftover poplar ended up after joining. I straightened and surfaced the tuba-four to match the small section, which is about 3-1/4" because I wanted it sturdy enough to hold the weight of the bigger table. The small section is mostly plywood with the poplar front to allow better holding for the hinge screws.
The frame on the short portion of the table is topped with 1/2" mdf for structure, with 1/2" melamine under-screwed to the mdf. I originally tried carpet tape but it wouldn't hold down well enough.
The large portion of the table is a single sheet of melamine under-screwed to the simple frame.
--

-MIKE-

Hoosierpopi said:

I built an outfeed table using a torsion box design. It doesn't fold, but rather lifts off but is _very_ lightweight. I cannot find any pix of its construction, I think the ex was off with the camera. It has two adjustable screws that level it with the saw top and the legs are actually a roller stand used before building the extension. The faces are tempered 3/16" hardboard, nitro-lacquered, and waxed. The miter slides were let into SPF 2x4s incorporated into the top before sandwiching together. Yadda, yadda...
Greg G.
yes....
http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-639331.html
Hoosierpopi wrote:

Form follows function. Nice job!
TWO cat doors?
Robatoy wrote:

Thanks. Coming from you, that means something. Not that the other compliments are unappreciated, but your work is always very impressive.

Ahhh, I *knew* someone would catch that. One in the garage door with a "keyed" entry and the other in the regular door so they can get in and out of the house. You need to see the one I made in the window. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Very nice, Mike. I've been wanting to build something similar to that for my Unisaw for a long time, but I've just never gotten around to it. At the same time I'd also want to redo the stock table board that came with my Unifence, which is quite crappy compared to the one that ships with the Biesemeyer fence, and I'd imagine that whatever I do with the table board might also play into the design of the out-feed table. I think maybe the only thing I'd do differently than you would be for the support legs to angle back towards the saw and attach to the mobile base instead of heading straight for the floor. Not quite as sturdy, but a little less intrusive, and the distance should be a "set it once and forget it" kinda thing. The saw would also retain the ability to remain mobile while the out-feed table is in use.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Thanks, Steve. I thought about legs that angled to the saw base, but was concerned about the weight of a sheets of plywood possibly tipping the whole saw. This thing is very heavy, but not the behemoth that is the Unisaw. :-)
I may also redo the extension table with melamine to match. I wasn't expecting this thing to look as good as it does. I'm not one of those guys who's tools, benches and jigs look like furniture. I like my tools to be tools and my furniture... well you get the point. I may also spray paint the table frames to match the gray of the Delta metal table frame.
--

-MIKE-

WW wrote:

My feminine side just had to sweep up some, before shooting the vid. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Nice job!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Thanks. Having seen your work, you're another guy who's kudos carry some weight. :-)
--

-MIKE-