vibration

i have a jet 14" lathe with cast iron legs. i mounted the legs in 8" of concrete and it vibrates when hollowing out bowls. any comments?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (in snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com) said:
| i have a jet 14" lathe with cast iron legs. i mounted the legs in | 8" of concrete and it vibrates when hollowing out bowls. any | comments?
(not a lathe guy)
If it only vibrates when you're turning bowls, I'd check the spindle bearings.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sounds like a lot of overkill on the mounting. There are many things on a lathe that can cause vibration to be excessive; too many to go into here. Try googling; lots of good articles on the subject. There will always be -some- vibration; it's a matter of how much is reasonable. Research it for best results.
Pop