Very weird frame joinery... (w/pics)

Canvas for painting?

What do I win?

Reply to
Robatoy

I have seen this type of joint used on a frame used for silkscreening tee-shirts. Such a frame is totally utilitarian and appearance is irrelevant. It must be sturdy since silk or nylon fabric is stretched quited tightly across the frame. Sometimes that joint is called a tenoned mitre. It can also be constructed using a splined mitre.

Reply to
lwhaley

| Can you guess what it is for?

He (or a friend) is fixin' to stretch some canvas.

Morris Dovey

Those are stretcher bars

are machine made. You buy the pieces the length you need.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

----

In article , David F. Eisan wrote:

Reply to
Larry W

Hello everyone,

My Dad called me on the phone and asked me to make him a frame this weekend. He said he had a sample and wanted me to make one just like it. What I expected and what he had were two very different things. I expected some odd profile he wanted reproduced on the router table, but instead what he wanted was a very specific method of joinery.

I have no idea what this joint is called. It is a non-glued frame that you drive wedges into to expand.

I wasn't exactly sure how to make it, but I was up for the challenge. This is my first one, and he wants a couple more.

Check out the pics,

you guess what it is for?

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Stretchers for canvas/linen.

Is your Dad pulling your leg? Reason I'm asking is that the stretchers are not that expensive and unless you're making a lot of them you probably won't beat the price by all that much - particularly if you're using good wood like you should be using and you place some value on your time. Here's a homemade example on eBay:

guy is building them with knotholes. The stretchers should be kiln dried and straight-grained to prevent warping. Here's a place that sells a couple of different models of stretcher bars for very reasonable prices:

RicodJour

Stretcher joint. Some people say it's not even a joint, because it falls apart if you don't have the canvas in palce over them.

I posted details of my jigs for making them ages ago. They're two sliding table saw sleds (one for the mitres, one for the laps) and you might need a dado blade that's 1/4 the thickness of the stock.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The joint is designed to allow movement so that the canvas can be stretched taut by the wedges. Pinning the joint would prevent that movement. It is a nice joint, though - too bad it's always hidden. I wonder what the Japanese version would look like...probably something that would give Escher a headache.

RicodJour

Could be a nice solid joint if one was to pin them together with a through dowel or something similar.

Reply to
Upscale

Yeah you do not want to do that. It would be like building a nice wooden drawer slide and then gluing the drawer slide halves together. ;~) It is not suppose to be stationary joint.

Reply to
Leon

On Apr 9, 10:06 am, "RicodJour" wrote: I

Morris makes a joint like that.. I mean Escher style with a little Rubrik thrown in. Can only be made with a $ 10,000.00 chisel. =0)

Reply to
Robatoy