Value of used Shopsmith

Have a neighbor that is trying to sell a Shopsmith that belonged to her husband who died a couple years back. Since I'm always in the driveway working on wood (at least until SWMBO gives the green light for a backyard garage) she asked me about it and how to sell it. Recommended the local Trading Post Mag but have no idea what to tell her to ask for it.
Looked at the machine and it appears to have all the standard accessories plus the bandsaw and jointer attachment. Her husband was the type that took good care of things so I'm sure it is in excellent condition.
Any body have an idea what she should ask/can get for it? Looked at a couple of Shopsmith auctions on Ebay but they weren't much help. Thanks.
Oswin
I do not know where you are from but the ability to sell one probably depends on the size of your classifieds marketplace. I know Shopsmith has a following of avid enthusiasts and if you find the right person she might sell it.
You might take a look at EBAY and note machines that have bids. I just took a quick look and found machines with bids run from $250 to around $650. There are also some in the $1,200 range without bids. There are also SS users groups including a Yahoo users group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SSusers /. Try googling some of these groups and see if there are users in your area.
RonB
Click on the following link. This is an E-bay search of COMPLETED Shopsmith listings.This will give you a pretty good idea of current market value.
http://search-completed.ebay.com/shopsmith_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfisZ2QQfromZR10QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQpriceZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaprchiZQ245000QQsaprcloZQ24100QQsbrsrtZl
Good luck, Chuck
All over the map around here. A friend just went through weeks of trying to sell one that was part of a bigger deal. I think a couple of months and $450. I don't like them at all, because of the inconvenience, but I know people do do small stuff successfully. Wilson

If it's a fairly recent model (last 10-15 years?), I've seen similar go for $800-$900 at estate sales. I've seen newspaper ads in the $1000- $1500 range, but don't know if they sold for that.
If it's an older model (Shopsmith's been around a long time) it could go as low as $200-$300 even in great condition.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Depending where you are I might be interested.

The following are the two Shopsmiths that I have purchased. Note that I had previously inheireted a Shopsmith from my Dad:
1. A 1997 Shopsmith model 510 in good to excellent condition. It included a bandsaw, a jointer, a strip sander, a DC3300 Shopsmith dust collector, and all of the appropriate bits, blades, lathe tools, fences, arbors, 2 - 12" sanding disks and a Forrest WWII blade, etc. It also included a number of non-Shopsmith stuff such as a DeWalt ROS, a downdraft sanding table insert, a bunch of wooden wheels, plugs, dowels, etc. Total proce $1,250. I then sold my 1982 Model 500 in excellent condition with a bandsaw and jointer along with appropriate bits, blades, arbors, fences and 1 - 12" sanding disk along with a spare saw table and fence for the same $1,250.
2. A 1988 Shopsmith Model 500 that clearly had not been used more than once or twice, probably only to play with it when it was initially set up. It came with a bandsaw that was still in the box, a belt sander that was still in the box, a jointer that was still in the box and a lathe duplicator that was still in the box. Unfortunately, this had been inheireted by a woman when her dad died and she had just kept it stored in her basement. She had apparently somehow lost some bits and pieces including the fence, the drill chuck and some others and it had some rust on the way tubes. Cleanable, but not excellent condition due to the rust, but otherwise very good shape and basically unused. All totaled $650. I spent about $150 getting all the needed bits and pieces that were missing. This was purchased for my brother so he ended up with a very nice and essentially new Shopsmith setup fopr $800. (I got to keep the Lathe Duplicator for my efforts).
Obviously, I was in no hurry to buy so I found a couple of good deals locally,(no shipping). I sold my 1982 model 500 to the first guy that answered the ad in the local PennySaver for the asking price with no haggling so I might have under-priced it.
Dave Hall
oswin2461 wrote:

Maybe it's worth more as a tax write-off? See if the local high school or some nonprofit could use it. Need to ask an accountant how big the receipt for "market value" should be.
She might want to save that one till year's end, and try to sell the thing in the meantime. But if she just wants it gone in a hurry, donating it might be fastest.