Value of used Shopsmith

We "need" a lot more than that but perhaps not all five bedrooms[*]. ;-) My issue is the yard, though. I have to hire someone to mow the

1.5acres, now. :-(

If that's a basement, your four rooms are pretty good size!

[*] SWMBO once asked why we need 3600ft^2. My answer was that we wanted a large master suite, w/walk in closets, a large kitchen, and a formal dining room. These things don't come in a small house.
Reply to
krw

So, however you run the numbers, the price of the Shopsmith really has NOT gone up very much - which was my point. (if it has, in reality, gone up at all)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You do with, what you have. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

, 28 Mar 2018 14:52:37 -0400, Clare Snyder

03 -0500, Le>>

ght one in 1978. I was limited to keeping my woodworki ng equipment in a 4x 8 carport storage room. When need ed, I would roll it out onto the carport and cut/turn away. Shopsmith offered classes at a very reasonable r ate and the training projects made one familiar with t he different configurations. The variable speed motor is plenty strong and doesn't rely on expensive electro nics. Still runs well after all these years. The ease of dado adjustment comes to mind as the blades are rig ht there and you lower the table over them for use. I' ve never taken 20 minutes to make any setup change and that includes going from a "table saw" (not much tabl e) to a drill press....more like 5-6 minutes. Since th en I was able to have a larger shop and , like most ot hers, acquired a table saw, radial arm, router tables, etc. The Shopsmith met my financial and space needs a t the time of purchase. It doesn't do any one function particularly well when compared to dedicated tools bu t I've never

he price it is today, maybe

nking $800 or so. Like everything else it has gone

e, or the price of Gasoline, or

ine is cheaper now than it was then. Beer? Dunno hav en't bought

78 $800 was a pretty sizeable chunk of cash!! A good 2 weeks pay

your wage estimate is high.

1979, I was making about $1125 every two weeks, double that 5 years later .
Reply to
Leon

That was darn good money back then.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, 1972 I was making $5 per hour - about $225 per week I was out of the North American labor market for 2003-2004. I made about $13000 in 1975.

I believe that was close to average - likely on the low side. 2 years later I bought a house for $35000. That house is about $350,000 today, and I make a LOT less than $130,000

I bought a brand new loaded "suv" in 1976 for about $6500 (Ramcharger SE 318 automatic 4X4 with full load) Equavalent today $45000 or more. - about 7 times more

Reply to
Clare Snyder

-MIKE- on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 23:20:04 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Great line.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I could not complain, I also had the perk of a new demonstrator vehicle every 6K miles, gasoline, and insurance.

Having said that I was in my early to mid 20's at the time and my equal's, at other dealerships, were in the 6 figure range. Dealerships in Houston back then paid their very managers well.

Reply to
Leon

28 Mar 2018 22:13:38 -0500, Le>

lare Snyder

55 AM, Bill>>>>>> I bought one in 1978. I

[...]

IIRC in 1978 the Shop Smith was about 1/3rd the price it is today, maybe

$800 or so. Like everything else it has gone

p in price.

or the price of Gasoline, or

soline is cheaper now than it was then. Beer? Dunno haven't bought

! A good 2 weeks pay

1979, I was making about $1125 every two weeks, double that 5 years later.

oaded "suv" in 1976 for about $6500 (Ramcharger

318 automatic 4X4 with full load) Equavalent today $ 45000 or

Fully lo aded to day is a LOT different than fully loaded then. I suspect today you get a lot more with fully load ed, or even partially loaded.

Reply to
Leon

Is that with all the bells and whistles? Or are the extras extra?

Reply to
Markem

Check the web site. ;~)

If you want an electronic speed control it is going to be quite a bit more expensive.

Reply to
Leon

More toys but nomore capability to push a plough or boost vehicles - it was my "service truck" - power windows and doors, AC, Stereo, Full time 4wd, V* with 150 amp alternator and dualbatteries.

On top of that I bought the Frink plow and the "curbsider" booster cables (50feet of welding cable).

I had 10 grand in the completed rig. The only options I didn't have from the factory was the big engine (400cu in) and the roof rack (which was a dealer installed "factory" option)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But we all know that you're *FAR* from average. ;-)

Reply to
krw

In 1972 I was making $1.85/hr (20 hrs per week). I think my wife was making $2/hr.

Reply to
krw

I was a licensed mechanic - Electricians and plumbers made significantly more.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I was in college, working for the university as an electronics technician (slave student type). My wife slung salads in a restaurant, about that time. ;-)

Reply to
krw

1972 Ford Pinto, $1990 new, out the door. This was the one no one wanted to be "rear-ended" in. Rolled over 100K too. Clutches were pricey ($400-600).
Reply to
Bill

replying to RedAce, dede wrote: Do you still have this? What year is your Shopsmith?

Reply to
dede

replying to Dhakala, Phyllis Stadley wrote: What a GREAT idea! I have one that I have no idea how to use or what it is worth. My father was a carpenter by trade for a living so only bought the best of the best. He has passed on now 12 yrs ago. It has been sitting in my garage taking up space. I need help getting rid of it. It is older, but in perfect shape.

Reply to
Phyllis Stadley

replying to Harv.sr, Paula L ODELL wrote: I am In Kcmo and have a wood lathe for sale if intersted.

Reply to
Paula L ODELL