Used Jointer

I have an option for a late 90's Jet 6" open stand jointer. It's a blue one. A brand-new model is about $450. What should I pay for this older model?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
gesres

I'd start with a mental price of $225 and work up or down depending on condition once you see it. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Reply to
gesres

Like everyone else USED equiptment generally sells for about 1/2 the price of new... so anything in the 200-250 buck range is what I would expect the price to be....

HOWEVER... I purchased my Rockwell 6 in Jointer almost 40 years ago and to be honest even after all those years it functions like its brand new .. (sure doesn't look new however lol)... My point is even at 280 bucks you will end up with a machine that should function as well as a new 450 buck machine...and still have almost 200 bucks left in the check book...

Lots of luck

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

One thing I read in the archives is that Jet used to make junky stuff. Then they improved their quality, THEN painted the stuff white. I'm a little leery of getting the blue equipment before it was made better. I don't know enough about jointers to be able to tell the difference.

At $280, though, I'd be more inclined to buy the Ridgid at $350.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
gesres

I agree. I would prefer the Rigid. I have a 20 year old Unisaw which I have in my shop up north. Since I spend about half the year in Florida and have a small shop there as well, I decided last year to junk the old Craftsman I was using and buy a Rigid table saw. I like it almost as much as the Unisaw but perhaps I am influenced by the fact that it has a left-tilting blade which Delta did not produce when my saw was purchased. At that time only the old Powermatic 66 was left tilting. When I bought the Unisaw I had just ordered a Powermatic 8-in. joiner. It was so junky I sent it back and replaced it with a Delta DJ-20 which has served me well. That's why I did not end up with a Powermatic left-tilt. It seems, though, that Powermatic has improved their product.

I made the mistake of buying a cheap Harbor Freight joiner for Florida and find the damned thing almost worthless. I am thinking about replacing it with the Rigid.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hello.

I just purchased a used Jet 6" gold closed stand with 4 sets of jet knives, and a jet knife setting jig for $250. Yes, he knew what it was, and it was meticuluosly cared for. he even gave me some brass shims.

It is a very nice little joiner, well worth the money.

Reply to
milehigh_woodcrafter