used Grizzly jointer

x-no-archive:yes
There is a used Grizzley jointer in the paper for 280 bucks. It is a 6 inch by 40 inch. Is this a good buy? WHat should I look for? Is it a bench top or self standing?
Oy vey! stryped wrote:

Is it a

Try the internet - a quick stop by Grizzly's website shows that their small 6" jointer is floor-standing and costs only $325. So unless your used one is in perfect condition, or unless the size was listed incorrectly, it's not a good buy.

Here's a link from the first Google result when I typed in 'how to buy used power tools': http://woodworking.about.com/od/woodshopsetup/bb/used_tools.htm
x-no-archive:yes
But isnt shipping usually an extra 100 bucks? Andy wrote:

Take a look and see. Still, I'd pay $100 extra for a full warranty and a new machine any day over a used one.
stryped wrote:

Looks like their shipping is $70, so you'd be spending at just under $400 to your door. I agree with Leon - the warranty is something to consider. I've bought several items from Griz and only had one problem - a bent fan cover for a dust collector. I emailed a photo and message to Griz and I had a replacement part in 3 days. Great service from Griz, in my experience.

Brand new, deliver to your door is $394. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452
I'd offer $200 if in very good condition. Chances are, you'll need a new set of blades in the used one soon so that diminishes the savings by $40. .

Agree with others also - unless you can get it for substantially LESS than $280 - it's not a good deal. Better off buying the new one.
Vic
I sold my used Griz 6" jointer for $210 when I upgraded to a DJ-20, and it had a mobile base, a set of HSS knives and a set of carbide knives. I thought that was a fair price for a 6 year old machine in good shape and so did the buyer. IMHO $280 seems a bit high.
Mutt