Update: too much of a good thing

I discovered Some Russian olive (I think that's what it is) in the slash piles as I was digging out cherry logs and brought some home tonight, anyone ever work with it? is it worth the effort of milling?
Got a good sized ash log 4' by 16"-18" there was an even bigger log (lower on the trunk about 5' long) but couldn't load it into the truck by myself, my question is what is the best way to cut bat blanks from it? just cut a 4"x4"x4' and hope it doesn't crack? time isn't an issue should I wrap it in something to slow down the drying time?
any thoughts would help?
Get some anchorseal on the ends first to help prevent cracking. For turning blank preparation check here http://aroundthewoods.com/firewood.shtml
______ God bless and safe turning Darrell Feltmate Truro, NS, Canada www.aroundthewoods.com