Unusual Craftsman RAS guard question

Hi,
I recently was given a Craftsman 113.23100 Radial Arm Saw. All of the parts appear to be present and accounted for. I've looked at the part list in the manual, as well as at www3.sears.com.
Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help me with an attachment on the standard blade guard. I've noticed that all descriptions of this particular RAS note the presence of anti-kickback pawls, two on either end of a splitter on the outfeed side of the guard.
I don't have that. I have the same guard arm that is adjustable and held in place by the tightening of a wing nut. However, at the end of the guard arm isn't a splitter and corresponding kickback pawls. Instead what I have is what can only be described as a ROLLER. A segmented roller. Its heavy, and it appears to be a hold down of some sort (the weight itself might act as a kind of hold down-ish feature) but the roller rolls either way, so I don't quite understand how that is supposed to help me.
Does anyone have any clue as to what I'm talking about? Could this be a part from a different model RAS? Or is this some mystery accesory that I'm not aware of?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
- Thanks,
Todd
If your saw is an older model, you may be able to get a safety upgrade free that includes all you need plus a table top. I don't have the details, but about a year or so ago this was discussed on this newsgroup and everyone was directed to a website that took information about your saw and then shipped you the new safer parts for your saw. I sent in information on my saw and later received a shipment that contained a new saw table top and blade guard that is a great improvement over the original. Be careful with that saw, it can be deadly if you are not following safe proceedures. GCS

free
but
was
shipped you

later
that is

Here's the link http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com /
Gary
Thanks for the website, but unfortunately, my saw does not apply to the upgrade. I checked already.
Otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts on what this particular roller is used for?
- Thanks,
Todd
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RESPITE95) wrote in message

Sorry if you are not part of the recall, I can't help much, except to refer you to the only book available that will tell you how to get everything out of a RAS safely. I think I paid about $20 for it. It is called, "How to Master the Radial Saw by Wally Kunkel. E-mail snipped-for-privacy@maracorp.com for details. I had a RAS for years and did mostly crosscuts because I was unsure how to safely use it. The book clears all that up. GCS