unisaw throat plate

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:22:12 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

aluminum one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i ha ve googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use?''

luminum one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else d o people use?
1/2" Baltic birch. They last for years, even longer if you patch them with epoxy putty.
On 2/22/2013 5:21 PM, James engstrom wrote: > i am looking for a throat plate for my unisaw i remember Norm had an aluminum one that held wooden inserts any idea where i can find that? i have googled already and had very few results..if not that one then what else do people use? > I liked that metal one with the replaceable inserts, but it was/is not available (for the saw I had then, Powermatic 63, or for my present Grizzly G0691, that I love!) So I (a) bought some of the wooden inserts, so I would know the "standard" dimensions, and (b) milled an aluminum plate using those, using my mini-mill. I did that for the first saw. I later sold that, moved up to the Grizz, and I intend (getting around some health problems) to make one for it. As a metalworking project it is pretty trivial, except that the piece is longer than my mini-mill can conveniently work, I had to make two setups and cuts to cut the sides of the plate. The round ends are trivial with a rotary table for the mill. So if you have a friend (or yourself) who does any metalworking I suggest that. I don't know what a machine shop would charge to do it, though, probably too much... I do have some fiberboard plates I quickly made for the Grizz, but the aluminum one with inserts is definitely the way I want to get back to. Bob Wilson