Unisaw question

Ok Uni-users, here's a real dumb question. I bought a UHMW insert to make a ZCI and it should be one of the easiest things to do. Right?? But when the blade is all the way down, it is only app 1/8 below the table saw deck. The insert rocks on top of the blade, which won't let me clamp it to the saw top. I have a 7 1/4" blade, but it's a narrow kerf. Besides using a smaller dia blade to make room for the 10" blade, how do you make your ZCI? TIA, Mark L.
You might try a 1/8th dado blade. Don't got no dado? I've roughed out the underside of ZCI's to allow the needed clearance, so maybe use a router table with a 1/4 inch plunge bit, stops,and a good workholding fixture. Take it to your 1/8th limiting thickness where the blade will be aligned, then go to town. I'm sure there'll be more ideas from the group.Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
I wasn't thinking, I've got 2 dado blades.... Thanks
Tom wrote:

cut patialy through with a dado or a strait cut router bit. you can also use a 7 1/4" full kerf blade to start the cut. 7 1/4 blades are cheap enough. less than 5 dollars for a cheap one.
skeez

For a ZCI only the top of the slot need be the width of the blade. You can hollow out the bottom however you like (switch blades, use a dado blade, use a router, use a chisel). A stanley #271 may work well.
scott
"Mark L." wrote:

You can also use double sided tape to fasten the new insert to the top of your standard insert to start the cut. Just be careful to properly line the inserts up.