Undersized plywood slot cutters

Within the past few days, I was reading *somewhere* about someone offering new slot cutters that were undersize for plywood. And I don't mean 1/32 undersize as has traditionally been the case. These were undersize (in two different sizes, IIRC) for the *real* amount that plywood these days is undersize. However, I can't remember what I was looking at when I saw them. Has anyone else seen this recently?

I'm attempting to retrofit a rail and stile set with a new slot cutter that will work better with the plywood that is available locally. I stopped by the yard (Owl Hardwood in Lombard) and measured the 1/4" maple ply. This probably isn't news to most, but it measured between 0.185-0.190 on the three sheets that I sampled. That's 3/16" plus or minus a few thousandths.

todd

Reply to
todd

plywood these days is undersize. However, I can't remember what I was looking at when I saw them. Has anyone else seen this recently?

Yes, I remember reading about the same thing - I think I might have seen it in a flyer from Infinity tools. After checking their website, they have slotting cutters in 5.5mm, 5.9mm, 5/32", and 3/16". Amazon also has a 3/16" slot cutter by Freud, but I think Infinity might have been advertising theirs to go with a rail & stile set. Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy

These are good people to deal with. Prices are competitive.

the countertop professionals, they're Lee Valley...on steroids.

Reply to
Robatoy

When you said Infinity, that rang a bell. I subscribe to their mailing list and found an email from them on this topic. Here's the link they refer to

They sell a tongue and groove cutter set that cuts either a 5.5mm or a 5.9mm groove. The 5.5mm works out to right about 7/32", which is the size I already have in my rail and stile set (which is too big for the ply that's available). I ran across a 5.2mm slot cutter from MLCS. The only tricky part now is that I need to find one that matches the outside diameter of the existing slot cutter (1.75").

todd

Reply to
todd

the 1/4" birch plywood I've been working with from HD in Toronto is ~.220".

Reply to
bent

Amana makes a slot cutter that's adjustable. You loosen this nut, then turn the dial like a dial-a-dado. It was about $100 iirc.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning