Tyvek flammable?

Is Tyvek flammable?

I have a wall in my shop with uncovered fiberglass insulation. I don't want to drywall it right now, and I know plastic burns very quickly. Tyvek was a thought to cover it.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Wilson Lamb

Ba r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Barry,

Try spelunking around tyvek.com ... I looked quickly and didn't see flammability.

But, since it's used to wrap houses, I'd hope it's not flammable.

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas

The wall has a million penetrations and runs behind a furnace. If I was wanting to work with sheets, I'd simply drywall it.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Maybe it's time to weasel a tyvek envelope out of the USPS and light it.

I was trying to find this out before I bought a roll of housewrap, figuring some here has tried to light it already.

Eventually, I'll cover the wall with something more substantial, but this could quickly cover it for now.

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Does anyone know what this means?

"Flammability: Typically has a spread index of 0 and a smoke developed value of 25 when tested in accordance ASTM E-84-89a."

Anybody a Fire Marshal?

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I found this at

FLAMMABILITY The flammability characteristics of Tyvek=AE are similar to those of most synthetic fibers. When exposed to a flame, Tyvek=AE shrinks away rapidly. It will melt at 275=B0F (135=B0C), and its auto-ignition temperature is 750=B0F (400=B0C). Please refer to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for additional information on the characteristics of Tyvek=AE brand of protective materials. Hard structure products are rated class "A" when tested in accordance with ASTM E-84-89a, a test for flame and smoke development.

Soft structure products are rated "Class 1-Normal Flammability" by the Federal Flammable Fabrics Act for Clothing Textiles (16 CFR-1610). Tyvek=AE with flame-retardant coatings are available through distributors.=20

-----------------------------

Jim

Reply to
jim

Thanks.

That sounds like it's a lot less flammable than most plastics.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Unless you have a buddy that builds houses and can bring you some scraps, or you can buy a partial roll somewhere, Tyvek runs $100+ a roll. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Read the rest of it--the part about "soft structure".

Reply to
J. Clarke

If it meeds te buildingcodes,it is probably NOT flammable.

You can buy plastic sheeting in Home Depot that is not flammable. Keep in mind that it may burn if in contact with an open flame, but if the flame is removed it will go out. Codes generally require some sort of 15 minute shield covering covering anyway.

I just spent two hours last Saturday listening to a presentation about bromides used in plastics for fire prevention. Most of the day was spent on equally exciting subjects, but it gets my wife and me to Las Vegas for four days of all expenses paid "work" Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on your insurance. If you have insurance it will probably require drywall installed.

Reply to
Battleax

But it doesn't sound like it would be good for your application: If the Tyvek shrinks away in flame, that means what you covered up will be exposed to the flame; if it's flammable, you may as well not have bothered with the Tyvek.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

As you have discovered, it will burn if conditions are right. I think (don't know for sure) that the fumes would be nasty. Things made to go on the outside of the house have different flamibility standards than those things that go inside of the drywalled portions f your house.

Actually, fiberglass insulation is not that bad. Are you sure you need to cover it at all?

Look at corrugated cardboard, ya sure it'll burn, but are the fumes as bad as what comes out of burning tyvek?

And you could use boxes obtained from ... wherever. Hardware, liquor stores, the Borg. Much less money than buying a roll of Tyvek. staple it up, trim with a stanley knife.

Do you do a lot of grinding? welding? or just woodwork?

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Pink fiberglass with no vapor barrier and raw studs, which have been uncovered for 13 years. That's why the shrinkage would be acceptable, compared at what might happen with other plastic or paper products.

Any other suggestions for a quick cover up until I can get a real wallcovering up next summer? I was figuring Tyvek, because I need a vapor barrier anyhow, and I could leave it up when the real cover up is installed.

My long-term plan is to put up a solid surface, like plywood over most of the wall, with drywall around the furnace. The solid stuff will make it easy to attach hardware to. This wall currently has an insane number of pipe, vent, and cable penetrations, and I'm not in the mood to deal with it right now.

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

It's collecting dust and the cats rub the bottom of it.

I also have it on the ceiling( first floor's floor underside), causing it to rain fiberglass. I was planning to the remove the ceiling batts. Compared to similar houses in the 'hood, I don't think the ceiling makes much difference. They don't have the insulation. The amount of fiberglass in the shop air filter and on the light fixtures is amazing.

Since none of it has vapor barriers, I may go with the fire retardant plastic that Ed mentioned. I'd like to put a ceiling in, but there is lots of plumbing and wiring to deal with, and I'd rather not lose any more height.

Mostly wood work and finishing.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Is Tyvek a vapor barrier? No.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Test complete, Inflammable I believe. Burns when fire is applied stops when you take it away.

Reply to
Knothead

Thanks! I missed that, always thinking of the stuff as a vapor barrier.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Glad someone finally mentioned this.