TS Extension Table and Cast Iron Wing

Hiya All, Am in the process of putting my G1023SL together and have hit a bit of a dillema. I'm putting an extension table on the right side that will ultimately house a router plate but I really don't want to lose the RH cast iron wing. I've seen where some have kept the wing and put the table on as well. How has that worked out for you all? I'm going to be using a Vega fence which is built to house an extension table and I've got legs to go at the far end. I'm worried that a) it might just be too difficult to keep 3 surfaces flat with one another over time and b) not sure if the cast iron wing is up for the task of holding up the table. I suppose I could rig some other legs to be closer to the cast iron wing or should I just cut the extension table down (currently 45" long).
Thanks much! Cheers, cc
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I did it with my Ridgid TS2424 contractor's saw and it's worked out just fine. It's kind of nice having the extra table length on the left side. Most of the time I leave the router down and the fence off so the table saw is the primary tool. Switching only takes a moment.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:14:46 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

Many cast iron wings have holes in both sides, as in against the saw and against air. Use the outside holes to attach the table board to the wing, no inboard legs are necessary. Shorten the table board if necessary, or leave it long if you've got the space.
No outside holes in the wing? Drill some.
I'll take iron over plywood any day!
Barry
Thanks Barry. I will have to drill through the cast iron wing to mount the table. I was a little concerned the stress put on the wing might be too much without inboard legs. Sounds like that's not a concern. I'm wiring up 220V today and will start putting the rest of the saw together tonight maybe. Cheers, cc

face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Thanks Barry.&nbsp;&nbsp; I will have to drill through the cast iron wing to mount the <BR>&gt; table.<BR>&gt; I was a little concerned the stress put on the wing might be too much <BR>&gt; without inboard legs.<BR>&gt; Sounds like that's not a concern.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm wiring up 220V today and will start <BR>&gt; putting the rest<BR>&gt; of the saw together tonight maybe.<BR>&gt; Cheers,<BR>&gt; cc<BR>&gt; <BR>My Jet contractor saw came with iron wings and a short extension on the right side.&nbsp; The whole thing is supported across the back of the the saw with 1.5" angle iron.&nbsp; The front also has angle iron running the entire width to support the fence rail.&nbsp; All of these surface have stayed as flush as the day I put them together.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The only modification I made was some fancy legs on the outside edge of the extension table made with leftover 2x4s and lag bolts for levelers.&nbsp; This was necessary because I 'accidentally' leaned on the extension table and the saw almost fell over.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>My Jet contractor saw came with iron wings and a short extension on the right side.&nbsp; The whole thing is supported across the back of the the saw with 1.5" angle iron.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The angle iron across the back also gave me a great place to mount an outfeed table.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Hi (again) Cubby,
If you are going to start drilling in the metal, check the Shop-Fox shipping box before you sell it.
There is a bit & tap in there for those who might buy the fence as an add-on.
Just in case you haven't opened it.
Lou

Thanks Lou! I haven't even opened the box and would never have thought to. I appreciate the head's up. I will have to drill so this will help me immensely and save me having to dig through my coffee can of drill bits! Cheers, cc

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

The fence rails should also stiffen the whole assembly.
Barry