TS and shopvac electrical question

I am the happy new owner of my first table saw. My garage shop has two 15 amp circuits installed for outlets. I normally run my router on one circuit and the shop vac on another. I can now do the same with the table saw, no problem (so far).

The thing is, I got a nice new thingamajig with kind of a slave circuit on it. You plug the box into the wall and then plug the table saw (or router, but it only supports one device) into the main outlet. When you turn on the main device, whatever is plugged into the second "slave" port turns on also. I have my shop vac connected to the slave port and it is totally cool to just flip the TS switch (or router) and have the vac crank up. I know the startup load of both motors cranking up is a lot for one circuit, and I have already tripped the breaker twice in one day ripping a 2x4.

I want some advice from those with some electrical knowledge as to how to proceed.

I can always use the two outlets on separate circuits, but would really like to keep using the master/slave box I just purchased. What would the best type of circuit be to fully support both the TS and shop vac in this way? I am willing to get an electrician to do the work (and maybe put in a 220v circuit for future use), but for now I have a 110v table saw and router so would like to have one single circuit capable of running either one of these devices simultaneously along with the shopvac.

Regards,

- Al

Reply to
jcofmars

You need all or some of your shop circuits wired with #12 wire wirh 20 amp breakers. That would probably be enough to keep from tripping breakers.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Change your circuit breaker out to the EXACT SAME AMPERAGE RATING except get the Slow Blow Style. As you indicated, it is the start up load that is the problem. The Slow to Trip breaker will give the tools a second or two longer while their load on the circuit lessens.

Reply to
Leon

Slow blow breakers?! Maybe you are thinking of fuses?

Reply to
Wade Lippman

That's a breaker marked "HACR", suitable for starting an A/C. They may be hard to find in single pole.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Thanks for the posts with feedback. I think I will see if the wiring is ok to use a 20A breaker and see if that helps. Just fyi, the problem was more tripping the breaker when the saw was under heavy load rather than just at startup.

If you take a look at the link below, you will see where I got the idea. I found the plug at Sears, called a."Sears Automatic Power Switch. I found it in the hardware dept for 19.99. The Sears sku number on the receipt is

24031.

- Al

Reply to
jcofmars