Trying to ID vintage Delta bandsaws

I'm in the middle of a trade right now (more details to follow) and I need to ID a couple of small Delta bandsaws. I just got a quick look at them, but I couldn't find any model numbers. They say "Delta 10" Bandsaw" on the back of the upper arm casting. That's it other than the company location. Wheels are two-part stamped steel. Tension or tracking (couldn't tell in the dark) seems to use a simple bent rod as a screw/lever.

Does anyone know what model this could be? I wasn't able to record any casting numbers to call Delta with.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Stamped tables? If yes they are more than likely early 30's vintage No. 785's. This was Delta's first *truly manufactured by Delta (1)* band saw. It stayed more or less like this until 1934 when the 14" No. 890 was introduced. Some time after that the 10" saw was tweaked up considerably and fitted out with the same blade guides as the 14" and was given a cast iron table. That saw was the No. 768 and lasted a number of years. Both the No. 785 and No. 768 were/are miniature versions of the 14" saw. Technically it could/should be said the 14" is a blowed up version of the

10" but we are more familiar with the 14" so it wins out.

I'm not sure I'd waste your/their time with it. Delta doesn't realize they've been in business since a loooooooooooong time ago.

Better you should go to the OWWM for truth, justice and the 'Murican arn.

UA100, owner (for the moment) of two Delta 12" No. 385 ((1) Delta's first band saw) and two 10" No. 785's...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I don't know about the tables, but I noticed that the restoration pics of a 768 on OWWM seem to show a faucet-knob on the spring tensioner. Did all the 768's have those? Like I said in my earlier post, at least the one saw I did get a look at just had a bent rod.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Yes. You'd probably seen Curtis Garret's machine (link below). If you look at the last picture you'll see the essential pieces of that saw. The main casting, table and wheels are pure No. 768. All the other parts in that picture will fit onto any 14" Delta made from 1934 to the present.

Like I said in my earlier post, at least the one saw I did get a

That machine (with the bent rod) would have been the

*lesser* No. 785. Not saying that as a put down, just that it's a fact.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100