Trip: anywhere/one in the Monterey California area I should visit?

I'm off to glorious Monterey for an Applescript training session the first week of May and have the Wednesday free (Quark Xpress... pah! I never script you again!) so beyond the aquarium (which doesn't count for ww'ing) any recommendations?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Last time I was there (3 years ago?), the better restaurants were on the pier by the Marina (across from the Hilton/Marriott/whatever the hell it is now/ convention center. Alas, the Irish pub is closed up. The town of Carmel and the seaside drive (it has a name but I disremember it) are picturesque if you like that sort of thing. Probably worth a look at least once in your life. The flight into the airport is always a thrill, better if the wind is blowing. Lots of wineries around. Did I mention you will need a car? Say howdy to ol' Clint. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Seventeen Mile Drive

Say howdy to Kim Novak for me.

If you're a golfer, it /might/ be worth the greens fees *once* at Pebble Beach.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

They're $395 right now. I chose to sit on the balcony of the lodge, drink a beer and watch a bunch of rich hackers chop up a beautiful course. Why anyone that doesn't even know what par is would play Pebble Beach is beyond me.

17 mile drive is nice. The wife and I were collecting real estate flyers. A 50 year old 1500 sq ft home was going for $2.4 million. A nice little 7000 square foot Mediterranean on the 2 hole at Pebble set you back $13.5 million. If you take the drive, be sure to get out at "Restless Sea" and check the waves. Big and wild.

The Blue Fin is a great place to eat and shoot pool. It is on Cannery Row,

3rd floor up overlooking the bay. My wife had the chicken sandwich and I had a burger with swiss and mushrooms. Good stuff.
Reply to
Bruce

Let me clarify...

I've been there before, and know the pier and Cannery Row for restaurants, pubs and clubs, 17 mile drive, the trip south to Big Sur....

I was wondering about woodworking related visits.

;-)

Last I heard you had to stay at the resort at Pebble to even be eligible for a tee time, but at well over $500 CAD for a round, well, that's more than I pay for golf in a season here in ToonTown.

17 mile drive is pretty cool, though.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:140420042257406006%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

Poppy Hills? Black Horse? Carmel Valley? The weather is great right now.

The problem with wood related places is - what are you going to take back? Baker Hardwoods, for California special hardwoods, but.... There's some super shows coming up in San Francisco, but that's quite a day trip from Monterey.

There MAY be something going on in Santa Cruz. Much more conducive to woodworkers than the rarified atmosphere of Carmel prices....

Patriarch, a Bay Area guy, who goes to Monterey just to coast....

Reply to
patriarch

While stationed at the language school I used to get a weekend pass, walk to Carmel, buy provisions at the Mediterranean Market (bread, cheese, and wine :), and laze on Carmel Beach for the entire weekend (It's a beautiful beach; but don't let yourself be tempted to swim there). One weekend there was a drop-dead gorgeous blonde in the Market - looked like about a sophomore at MPC - and this (then) 20-year old decided that I'd never forgive myself if I didn't meet her and ask her out. It turned out to be a 30-something Kim Novak. Not just a good actress and beautiful woman; but also a beautiful and gracious person.

Probably the same madness that draws people to St Andrews in Scotland.

It's been a while since I was last there. Greens fees were $50 - more than I could afford on Army pay; but I enjoyed a Thanksgiving dinner with a family whose home was surrounded on three sides by the course (with the Pacific on the fourth).

Heh heh. When I was last there I was outraged that the 1500 sq ft home was being sold for a whopping $25K. Shoulda bought. Of course if I had, I'd never have been able to bear selling the place...

There's a point on 17MD where you can take your sandals off and put your feet in the water - you can feel the Bering current cooling your right foot while the Pacific current warms the left. I can't remember the name of the point; but spent a lot of time sitting there carving on driftwood.

It may not still be there; but my favorite spot in Monterey was a place called Sancho Panza's. There was a table littered with classic music LP's (pick one you like and put it on the record player), a used bookshop upstairs, and they sold the best mulled cider I ever tasted. I'd come back from Carmel Beach with my current carving project and they'd keep me supplied with free steaming hot cider for as long as I'd carve. Wood chips everywhere - but I guess they enjoyed watching.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

You have to pay a toll, about $7 I think, to go down 17 Mile Drive. But a waitress in Carmel told me that if you tell the toll taker that you are just going for the yard sales, they'll waive it. I'm just about positive she was kidding. ;^)

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Well, if you go the Cannery Row Antique mall, you can sometimes find some tools. There is a #4 smoother upstairs with a mishmash of parts (Union lever cap, stanley body, unknown blade) and in poor condition with a $150 price tag that you may wish to pass over.

(I did pick up a nice 604C there for $35, so not everything is ridiculously priced).

Some of the best dining (and one of the finest wine cellars in the nation) is at the Sardine Factory, near the aquarium. Highly recommended.

There are a number of antique stores in Pacific Grove as well.

There is a branch of CB tool (Peninsula Power Tool) on Lighthouse, about

4 blocks from the aquarium. Fun to drool over the big iron.

Abalonetti's on the wharf specializes in calamari dishes and serves farm-raised abalone ($50 entree :-). Try the roasted garlic with the Calamari Siciliano (sauteed rings and tentacles in garlic, butter and red wine).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Is Toasties still in business on the main drag in Pacific Grove?? Mmmmmmm, breakfast!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

"Scott Cramer"

Yes. I think so. I lived there for about 6 months. You can get in free as a resident or if you are visiting but they often will make a call to check. Golfers probably have a deal too.

I didn't meet Clint or hang out at his Hog's Breath Inn, I rented a small room out by a swimming pool and did yard work for money. I realized then that many rich folks were a miserable screwed up bunch. How they got their money was a mystery to me. It still is.

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

I've wandered Cannery ROw a bit, but will make a point of popping into the antique mall this trip.

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't eaten there. A couple of good friends are coming down from SF on Wednesday for dinner, so mayhaps we'll go there.

Drroling is all I'll do... I don't think a band or table saw qulifies as carryon for the flight home.

Another great recommendation. I walked past them 2 years ago, but will go in this time.

Thanks, Scott.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Morris I also went to DLI. Just out of curiosity what language did you study? I took Chinese Mandarin in 1998 for a year and a half. What a nice place to be stationed!!

Reply to
47Driver

If you have the time, I remember Hearst Castle having some interesting furniture. Here is one piece:

's about 90 miles south of Monterey. I also seem to remember a couple of small shops in Carmel the had some expensive and interesting woodworking related items. I believe a couple of the monasteries around there also had some cool stuff.

Hope that helps!

Reply to
47Driver

Portuguese. In my time (1962-63) it was USALS (Army Language School). I doubt there were any nicer places to be stationed - although at the time Monterey was much more a village than a city; and Cannery Row was just a bunch of ramshackle old buildings.

I still don't love sea lions...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It is located adjacent (west side) to the Aquarium Parking lot. If you go, ask for a table in the conservatory; and if you try that

1870 Chateau L. Rothschild, let me know how it was :-)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:140420042111333992%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

If you like a nice drive through the redwoods and a good beer, try a drive up Highway 1 to Santa Cruz, then take Highway 9 over to Saratoga. Along the way you can stop at Henfling's Tavern in Ben Lomond. Good microbrews on tap and you can throw horseshoes in the back!

If you don't want to go over the hilltop to Saratoga, why not go to Big Basin State Park (via Highway 9 and Boulder Creek) and see some really big wood!

Reply to
Hitch

It's hard to say what you might be looking for regarding woodworking... Asilomar (State Park and Conference Center) has some wonderful Craftsman style historic buildings, the grounds are accessible from the 17 Mile Drive or from the main entrance in Pacific Grove. The Coast Galley in Big Sur has some nice wood crafts, if you drive down that way. There are certainly other galleries in the Monterey-Carmel area, too.

JeffB

Dave Balderst> I'm off to glorious Monterey for an Applescript training session the

Reply to
JeffB

if you drive down into big sur on highway 1, about 1/2 way through the area there's a place that harvests local jade (jadite?). i've gotten some thin slabs for inlaying there.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer