transport of 16 foot 4x4's with stationwagon?

Just an update guys. First off, I greatly appreciate all of the responses I received! I can tell many here have had similar issues and unique solutions.

Someone had asked about Lowe's and, yes, that or HD was where I was originally going to purchase the 4 posts. You were correct about their $75 delivery charge and the truck they rent was too short for the posts, so I decided against either option.

I also decided against the stationwagon idea. A few years ago, I did purchase a 40' aluminum ladder from Lowe's and tied it to the wagon top. Made it the 23 mile distance home ok, but then again that was aluminum and this is pressure treated soil contact 4x4's so a different animal I suspect.

My local lumber yard, who I hardly ever use, to the rescue! Posts are bit higher in price than Lowe's or HD, but only a $3 delivery charge per post. So $12 versus $75 at either of the two chains. I'm going with the local lumber yard.

Thanks again for all the commentary and tips!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Brown

Would that be a pickup truck with a club cab / 4' bed or a mini with a 7.5' bed?

Cars have a better chance with 16' lumber, usually.

You don't have any friends with a pickup truck? Simply ask for some assistance, that way! Buy some beer..... or burgers, steaks(?).... and, further, have them over for a get-together installing the things, where you are wanting them. Make it a social gathering, not a job. Surely your friends understand your situation, as such, and may likely be looking for an opportunity for a social gathering.

Sonny

Reply to
m II

OK, I have a pickup with a 6' bed. How do I carry 16' lumber on it?

Reply to
krw

Build a rack for the truck.

Reply to
Nova

The reason you ask that question makes me wonder why people even buy short-bed pickups instead of the real thing. If you're gonna drive a pickup, why not get a long-bed one in the first place?

Reply to
Just Wondering

On 1/16/2012 1:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Same way as the guy w/ the station wagon--hook up the trailer.

--

Reply to
dpb

so it'll fit in the garage?

Reply to
chaniarts

Why do you piddle around buying a full-size pick-up when you very well might run into the need for a flat-bed dually?

Reply to
Steve Turner

With my ranger 6' bed truck, I have 12" clearance from axle to ground and the truck is 15' long. I'd try the suggestion earlier to hang it from the front and back bumpers _under_ the truck. The posited 4x4 would still leave

8" ground clearance, which is more than many modern automobiles, an 18' maybe a 20' would even work this way. I probably wouldn't take this on the freeway or drive over 35 or 40 with it.

I do carry 10 - 12' boards in the 6' bed regularly - most recently some figured

12/4 8" wide eastern black walnut (sale: USD 5/bf at jackel enterprises - recommended).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You need a "ladder rack" to carry 16 footers - or a loop of rope on each bumper.

Reply to
clare

stick them in the bed, then buy enough bags of sacrete to hold the front of them down. You'll use the sacrete some other time if not while putting these 4x4's in the ground. Don't forget the red rag on the end of the timbers.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Remember - a 6 foot box plus a tailgate is pretty close to 8 feet - so it doesn't take a LOT of weight to keep the front down..

I still like a ladder rack on a P'up for the job, though.

Reply to
clare

Nah, just tie it up all vertical-like and duck for bridges.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

With only six feet in and a whopping ten feet hanging out, cops would pull him over in a heartbeat around here, probably for the broken wood in the street a block back, if nothing else.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Put a skate board on the end instead of a flag and call it a trailer.

Reply to
clare

Macho only. Built rust tough.

The reason you ask that question makes me wonder why people even buy short-bed pickups instead of the real thing. If you're gonna drive a pickup, why not get a long-bed one in the first place?

Reply to
m II

Just Wondering wrote the following:

Yeah, that extra 2 feet in an 8' bed will handle those 16 footers.

Reply to
willshak

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

What is a bumper? Is it hidden under all the plastic?

Reply to
willshak

I prefer a unicycle, with the proper caster set.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

willshak wrote in news:sOqdnV6c1M8p6YjSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

It used to be the part on the vehicle designed to allow it to bump into things, but now it's the first part to crumple in an impact.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper