transport of 16 foot 4x4's with stationwagon?

Page 2 of 5
On 1/16/2012 12:28 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

so it'll fit in the garage?
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:55:15 -0700, chaniarts

You need a "ladder rack" to carry 16 footers - or a loop of rope on each bumper.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

What is a bumper? Is it hidden under all the plastic?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It used to be the part on the vehicle designed to allow it to bump into things, but now it's the first part to crumple in an impact.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 1/17/2012 11:01 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

It occurred to me that there are sensors in the bumpers of modern airbag-equipped cards. Perhaps take that into consideration before you treat a bumper in a way that they didn't anticipate at the factory.

As they are INERTIA sensors, it would be pretty difficult - but I guess not impossible, todischarge the airbags by hanging lumber under the car. The "tie down hooks" work pretty well too. Doesn't work with highly flexible lumber, like trim peices,
On 1/17/2012 12:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm largely clueless about it. It just something to think about while saving the $75. My dealership charges $80 just to talk to you. I rented a big moving truck from Penske and moved some heavy furniture with it for about $17.
How much did the rental company get for selling it off the back of the truck?
LOL
------------ "Bill" wrote in message I'm largely clueless about it. It just something to think about while saving the $75. My dealership charges $80 just to talk to you. I rented a big moving truck from Penske and moved some heavy furniture with it for about $17.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:63cbh71mnc5fg5i3jlht5q3qotdc1iuqtn@ 4ax.com:

I've carried flexible things a few times... could you imagine the racket trying to carry PVC pipe or PVC trim under the car? Snap, whap, whack whack, dong (hit something metal).... Even if tied down/up well.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:33:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My bumper has "pulling" hooks, so I'd imagine they'd be a safe bet to anchor a sling. OTOH, I'd hate to stick a 4x4 in the ground, pole vault style. ;-)
On 1/17/2012 10:42 AM, Bill wrote:

the sensors are not in the bumper. sometimes no where even near it.
--
Steve Barker

Blasphemy!
On 1/17/2012 8:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

If you're a woodworker, your garage is probably tied up as a woodshop and hasn't seen a vehicle in years.

Never, in fact. ;-) Garages make terrible wood shops, though. :-(
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:17:41 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Well, it is almost time to buy a new house (started looking with an agent this weekend). The next one is going to have a basement so the garage might fit *one* car. ;-)
On 01/16/2012 01:28 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Why do you piddle around buying a full-size pick-up when you very well might run into the need for a flat-bed dually?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
------- "Just Wondering" wrote in message wrote:

The reason you ask that question makes me wonder why people even buy short-bed pickups instead of the real thing. If you're gonna drive a pickup, why not get a long-bed one in the first place?
Just Wondering wrote the following:

Yeah, that extra 2 feet in an 8' bed will handle those 16 footers.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
--------------- "willshak" wrote in message
Yeah, that extra 2 feet in an 8' bed will handle those 16 footers.
On 1/17/2012 6:15 AM, willshak wrote:

Well, it would help a little. After you drop the endgate, you've got 10' supported and only 6' of overhang. Tie a big red warning flag on the end and you're good to do.