working with 4x4/guillotine

I'm making a guillotine out of 4x4 spruce. It's base is 8x4. The 2 uprights are 10' high and have 2 horizontal braces/spacers 13" from the ground and about 8" from the top. I'm using all half-lap joints (I think that's what they're called) and will connect them with 3/8" carriage bolts. So far all angles have been 90 degrees, but I want to put in 45 degree supports where the base meets the uprights, and also where the horizontal spacers meet the uprights. I had planned on a butt-joint (not sure if you still call it that if it's 45 degrees), with 3/8" threaded rod to connect it, but my concern is that this will have some flex and sort of slip and slide as I'm trying to drill through it. I was wondering if there's a better way to keep these supports from moving. I thought of routing out a notch in the upright and base to accept the support, but I'm concerned it might be too difficult getting the angles right. My woodworking skills are a little limited. I have a mitre saw, skil saw (which I've been using to cut and "route" the lap joints), $99 table saw (so pushing 10' sections of

4x4 through it is out ;o) ), router, hand saws.

TIA, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Maybe you can temporarily hold the two pieces in position with some screws? Is this a halloween prop, or are you in the CIA?

MB

Reply to
MB

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the tester isn't going to be complaining....

Reply to
lwasserm

A Real guillotine, or a prop??

Sounds like fun, either way. If you're concerned about those braces slipping when you're drilling, you could take a couple of scrap 2x4s and use your miter saw to cut them at 45* (so that when you look at the narrow edge, you see the 45). Take those pieces and temporarily nail them in place to hold the braces where you want them, drill, then remove (or make them part of the design and leave them in place.

I'll try to show this below, hopefully it comes through ok.

Reply to
Prometheus