transport of 16 foot 4x4's with stationwagon?

YOUR cops have a heartbeat?

Reply to
Josepi

It occurred to me that there are sensors in the bumpers of modern airbag-equipped cards. Perhaps take that into consideration before you treat a bumper in a way that they didn't anticipate at the factory.

Reply to
Bill

As they are INERTIA sensors, it would be pretty difficult - but I guess not impossible, todischarge the airbags by hanging lumber under the car. The "tie down hooks" work pretty well too. Doesn't work with highly flexible lumber, like trim peices,

Reply to
clare

I'm largely clueless about it. It just something to think about while saving the $75. My dealership charges $80 just to talk to you. I rented a big moving truck from Penske and moved some heavy furniture with it for about $17.

Reply to
Bill

the sensors are not in the bumper. sometimes no where even near it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:63cbh71mnc5fg5i3jlht5q3qotdc1iuqtn@

4ax.com:

I've carried flexible things a few times... could you imagine the racket trying to carry PVC pipe or PVC trim under the car? Snap, whap, whack whack, dong (hit something metal).... Even if tied down/up well.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Past the centre of balance and Bob's your uncle. ...or was it Bill?

Yeah, that extra 2 feet in an 8' bed will handle those 16 footers.

Reply to
m II

Get yourself one of those ladder racks that sit on one side.

Reply to
Markem

How much did the rental company get for selling it off the back of the truck?

LOL

Reply to
m II

Then where do I put the rack? ...on a rack rack?

Reply to
krw

I wanted lockable space behind the seat. I also didn't want a monster truck (it's a Ranger).

I wonder why people put caps or covers on pickups. If you want to cover the thing, get an SUV.

Reply to
krw

Blasphemy!

Reply to
krw

My bumper has "pulling" hooks, so I'd imagine they'd be a safe bet to anchor a sling. OTOH, I'd hate to stick a 4x4 in the ground, pole vault style. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Well, it is almost time to buy a new house (started looking with an agent this weekend). The next one is going to have a basement so the garage might fit

*one* car. ;-)
Reply to
krw

I might try that, but it sounds scary (suspension moving around under there). It is a Ranger 4x4 (that hasn't been in 4WD since I moved from Vermont to Alabama ;-).

10' is a piece of cake; don't even hang a flag. 12' is pushing it a little but not too bad. 16' is out of the question.
Reply to
krw

I carried 16' 4x4s on my '78 Granada and both minivans. Easy! Pickups make it harder, actually.

Reply to
krw

Well, it would help a little. After you drop the endgate, you've got

10' supported and only 6' of overhang. Tie a big red warning flag on the end and you're good to do.
Reply to
Just Wondering

If you're a woodworker, your garage is probably tied up as a woodshop and hasn't seen a vehicle in years.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Just a comment for future reference but if you carry lumber and whatnot often you might want to consider a Yakima rack with 5 foot crossbars. It's going to be more sturdy than most factory racks and the 5 foot crossbars make it easy to lash down a sheet of plywood. Most bicycle or kayaking shops should be able to set you up.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Gas economy. I have been told without a cover and with the economy goes from 12 mpg up to 20 mpg on a full size pickup.

This may not be any concern in the USA as their gas prices are so cheap and their air doesn't matter.