transport of 16 foot 4x4's with stationwagon?

Page 1 of 5
I'm hoping to be able to transport one or two 16 foot long 4x4's with my Ford Taurus stationwagon (with rack on top), but I'm not sure it can be done. Having them delivered is just too high of a cost for a couple of posts. So, is it possible to transport two at a time with my stationwagon and, if so, how would this be done?
Thanks, Harry
Harry Brown wrote:

Some of the truck rental places rent trucks by the hour. This can work out to a really cheap price for truck rental if you don't have many miles to go.
In case you are shopping there, Home Depot provides an hour's free truck rental on purchases over $100 with their credit card. Not as nice a truck as one you could rent, but it would atill avoid screwing up your vehicle (which I think is a possibility).
Bill
Harry Brown wrote:

One guy I saw laid the boards on the parking lot, drove straddle of them, lifted the front end and tied them to the front bumper and then did the same with the rear end, tying them to the rear bumper.
--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.
"Harry Brown" wrote in message
I'm hoping to be able to transport one or two 16 foot long 4x4's with my Ford Taurus stationwagon (with rack on top), but I'm not sure it can be done. Having them delivered is just too high of a cost for a couple of posts. So, is it possible to transport two at a time with my stationwagon and, if so, how would this be done? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Put them side by side on the rack, and tie them together out on the ends, and run down to the bumper on each side of the car. Front and back will look like the ropes are writing an upside-down letter "V"
-- Jim in NC
On 1/15/12 12:10 PM, Harry Brown wrote:

I've strapped a lot more than that to the rack of my minivan. I wouldn't go 70mph down the interstate, but it works fine for me at 45 the 3-4 miles from store to home.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/15/12 1:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

By the way, another way to do it would be to go inside the car, from the front passenger door window, out the back hatch. Two 4x4's will fit through that front door window and they can rest on the seat backs. Removing headrests may make it easier. You won't have much shooting out the front window and only 4' or less out the back.
--

-MIKE-

Strapped real tight in the middle, together, at a couple of places to a few frame parts to stop flight in the event of collision. Then strap the front end and rear end to your bumpers to stop flailing of the ends from bumps. Keep lots toward the front where you can see the end swing on turns.
------------
"Harry Brown" wrote in message
I'm hoping to be able to transport one or two 16 foot long 4x4's with my Ford Taurus stationwagon (with rack on top), but I'm not sure it can be done. Having them delivered is just too high of a cost for a couple of posts. So, is it possible to transport two at a time with my stationwagon and, if so, how would this be done?
Thanks, Harry
Like Josepi says keep the overhang in front.
Very doable. make sure you tie it in the rear to underneath. You want to take the stress of the weight off the front and take some to the back. Leave 2 to 4 feet hanging off the back with red flag on both ends.
On 1/15/2012 2:38 PM, Josepi wrote:

Like Josepi says keep the overhang in front.
Very doable. make sure you tie it in the rear to underneath. You want to take the stress of the weight off the front and take some to the back. Leave 2 to 4 feet hanging off the back with red flag on both ends.
On 1/15/2012 2:38 PM, Josepi wrote:

"Harry Brown" wrote in message
I'm hoping to be able to transport one or two 16 foot long 4x4's with my Ford Taurus stationwagon (with rack on top), but I'm not sure it can be done. Having them delivered is just too high of a cost for a couple of posts. So, is it possible to transport two at a time with my stationwagon and, if so, how would this be done? ================================================================Put them on the rack, tie them down, drive on. I really don't know what you are asking.

They'd probably rip off the rack on the first downward bump or collapse the rack and dent the roof on the first upward bump. Good dry pine would probably transport safely if tied down right. Wet pine or pressure treated SPF would certainly cause problems.
I get loads of lumber delivered to client sites for $10-20 all the time. The shorter the trip, the less they charge. One lumber yard here will do free deliveries of longer materials if you're a regular customer. Is harry shopping Lowes, who wants $79 to deliver anything?
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
On 1/15/2012 12:10 PM, Harry Brown wrote:

You should expect some added dents to either your roof or luggage rack.

No sweat. Back in the 70's and 80's I used U bolts to bolt 2 44" 2x4's to the rack of my Datsun station wagon. These were used to haul two 18 foot aluminum canoes, or a canoe and kayak, for a few hundred miles each way many weekends.
Tie the fronts to the front bumper frame and the rears to the rear bumper frame, spring them if possible. Use the best rope on the front. Hauling couple of 16' 4x4's is nothing compared to those canoes - much less weight and your vehicle is almost twice the size of my old Datsun. Just be sure you know how to tie a good knot.
Regards, Roy.
You don't have any friends with a pickup truck? Simply ask for some assistance, that way! Buy some beer..... or burgers, steaks(?).... and, further, have them over for a get-together installing the things, where you are wanting them. Make it a social gathering, not a job. Surely your friends understand your situation, as such, and may likely be looking for an opportunity for a social gathering.
Sonny
Would that be a pickup truck with a club cab / 4' bed or a mini with a 7.5' bed?
Cars have a better chance with 16' lumber, usually.
---------------- "Sonny" wrote in message
You don't have any friends with a pickup truck? Simply ask for some assistance, that way! Buy some beer..... or burgers, steaks(?).... and, further, have them over for a get-together installing the things, where you are wanting them. Make it a social gathering, not a job. Surely your friends understand your situation, as such, and may likely be looking for an opportunity for a social gathering.
Sonny

OK, I have a pickup with a 6' bed. How do I carry 16' lumber on it?
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:15:39 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Build a rack for the truck.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Nah, just tie it up all vertical-like and duck for bridges.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Then where do I put the rack? ...on a rack rack?
On 1/16/2012 12:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

The reason you ask that question makes me wonder why people even buy short-bed pickups instead of the real thing. If you're gonna drive a pickup, why not get a long-bed one in the first place?