Transplanting A Live Oak Tree

Page 1 of 2
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone. Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow. If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.
http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postponed-to-move-live-oak /
This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time of year for transplanting, either.
Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets: KATC.com or KLFY.com
Sonny

It would be a lot easier to just bring in a sawmill, cut it down and make lumber. And does an oak tree really weigh 400 tons? That is 800,000 pounds. I know that green wood is heavy, but this stuff must be as heavy as depleted uranium!
A closer view: http://www.klfy.com/story/14527393/moving-mr-al
If the root ball is 50' across and 4' deep, it, alone, may weigh 200 tons.... a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has been watered constantly, in prep of the move.
Live Oak weighs about 54 lbs per cubic foot, I think. I don't know if this measure is dry weight or green weight. This tree has, at least, a 100' wide canope. Lots of leaves on this tree, also.
Sonny

On this link, there is a video news cast link, above the picture, stating a few details of the pending move. Stay tuned for more videos.
Sonny
"Sonny" wrote
a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has been watered constantly, in prep of the move.

of 1.5 tons.
-- Jim in NC

Why didn't they move it last Winter, when all the leaves were down?
-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain
Why move it at all.
Has a nursery or tree surgeon been consulted ?
Trees are often root cut over several years prepping it for a move. One cuts the roots in a short sections around the tree and year after year the circle is closed.
Then a massive scoop machine moves in and cuts the dirt at the new place and then cuts the tree to match - moves and puts the tree and the massive cone of ground into the pre-made hole.
Martin
On 5/16/2011 9:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2011 19:33:59 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Live oaks keep their leaves in the winter, but it would have been better to have moved it in the winter.
basilisk

Bureaucrats not botanists
RonB
On 5/16/2011 8:42 AM, Lee Michaels wrote: ...

Well, w/o looking up, assume sp gr of 0.8 --> ~6 lb/cu-ft
That'd be very crudely a volume of 133,333 ft^3 which would be a cube of about 50-ft on a side solid.
Don't think the volume would be that, no. The tree and the root ball they'll have to excavate might be in that neighborhood...
It'll take a piece o' gear for certain and likelihood of success isn't very great most likely altho if there's enough money to followup it'd help. Being in area w/ good moisture in general, etc., won't hurt of course.
On 5/16/2011 9:23 AM, dpb wrote:

Ooopppssss...decimal point slip. Needed morning coffee first... :(
More like 60 lb/cu-ft.

That's down to a 25-ft cube; not totally out of reason perhaps...
On May 16, 9:42am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Maryland's famous Wye Oak was made into furniture after it was brought down by a storm. Not sure if they cloned it. The process couldn't be simpler. Merely cut off a large number of branches and stick them in water or wet sand, then wait. Rooting takes between a month and a year. Each resulting sapling is an exact genetic duplicate of the parent tree, a true clone.

Damned glad the effort is being made ... Hoping it is sucessfu.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Nice sentiment, faulty logic in LA.
Instead of feeding/housing hungry evacuees, the ecoterrorists cause how many tens of thousands of dollars to be wasted on idiotic stuff like this?
When the time comes to move it, they'll shockingly discover one or two things. That the tree was hollow inside and any attempt to move it caused it to break into pieces, or that they tried to lighten the load and didn't get enough of the root system so it dies within a month. I hope they x-ray it before trying.
Bets?
Similar old oaks? http://goo.gl/JIDvt http://goo.gl/HDpe0 http://goo.gl/Apm14 http://goo.gl/hcMVV fell all by themselves.
LJ, who used to live 13 miles from Live Oak Park (in Fallbrook, CA) and knows that they're not a particularly beautiful or rare tree.
-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain
[...snip...]

Having worked for a DOT for 30 years, I am pretty sure the DOT didn't agree to this easily. Usually the payment for additional right of way is first offered at fair market value, then land owners can appeal to whatever legal mechanism exists in the state. I'll bet this came about either after litigation or the owner of the tree is paying to move the tree themselves.
FWIW, about 15 years ago I served on a jury. Why? Some people hired an idiot to clear some scrub trees on their property. And the guy cut down the wrong trees, on the wrong property. Which resulted in a lawsuit.
And I got to watch videos of large oak and other trees being transplanted to other locations, to prove that it would be possible to fix the damage by transporting in large live oak trees to replace the ones that were cut down. According to the video, the trees all lived.
I would think an arborist would be asked to give an opinion on the health of a tree before someone spends $$$ to move it.
Many citizens wanted to keep the tree. This is not the first case in this area. There were a few fund raisers to collect funds to support the move.
In Youngsville, last year, a similar situation presented itself. The community raised funds to buy adjacent property and that road was rerouted onto the new property.
Several years ago, there was debate about removing a large live oak in town, to make room for a filling station. The filling station won out and the tree was cut down. Less than a year later, the filling station closed its doors. The city sued the company on behalf of the citizens and won.
Folks here have become keen (militant) to the idea of preserving the remaining old live oak trees. In some cases, folks have even protested against others picking the Spanish moss from them.
As of this writing (11:50 am), I haven't heard how the move is going/ went. It was supposed to take 3 hours to move it, 1 1/2 miles. KLFY TV has a noontime local broadcast, "Meet Your Neighbor", so maybe they'll have an update, then.
Sonny

Has any of the talking heads bandied about the cost of moving the tree? Largish thousands, but how large?

I haven't heard anything negative regarding moving the tree. I have no idea what the cost may have been.
The tree got moved with apparently no glitches. I would have liked to have witnessed the event. The video, within the article, isn't too impressive, as is the idea of moving something that big. http://www.katc.com/news/mr-al-moved-to-its-new-home /
Sonny

Fascinating, and I guess I have mixed feelings. If the tree has historic relevance it is probably worth it. But if public money is being used, they are spending a lot of it. Can they really save enough of the tree's root structure to keep it going after transplant?
RonB