Tracing a complex contour...?

Page 2 of 2
Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 8:03pm snipped-for-privacy@soleSPAMLESSassociates.com (Kenneth) doth posteth: Howdy, I recently saw a very simple design for a stand for a banjo... I could make one in a flash as it is essentially a plywood box, about 20" X 14" X 8", with a padded hole in the top in which the banjo rests (with its neck going up and slightly tilted back). The problem is that I can't come up with a good way to determine the proper shape of the hole. It is a moderately complex shape in that it must accommodate the curve of the resonator, and the varying diameters of the instrument itself. Also, the instrument is rather fragile so doing things like dragging a divider along its surface would be out. <snip>
I saw the link with the picture You're trying to complicate it.. It's got a rounded pocket (I think 'round' is what they mean by "contoured"), to set a banjo in. It's padded. There's no "moderately complex" shape involved, all you have do do is make it deep enough to accept a banjo - just like they did. Personally, if I was gonna make a stand for a banjo, or whatever, I'd make something that'd let it be supported from the bottom, lean it "back" a bit, and support the neck. Unless I wanted something that would go pretty much un-noticed with the banjo out of it, like playing on stage, I doubt I'd want something like that. OK, in real life, I'd just put it back in the case until I wanted to play again; with a case strong enough someone could step on it and not hurt the case OR banjo.. Remind me, got to get working on my banjo again. Ah well.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:07:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Of course you may be correct, but...
Take a look at this:
http://community-2.webtv.net/Deesosebee/stand /
It is another version of the stand made by the same fellow. I assumed that the "box" version was functionally similar to the "folding" version in the link above.
If they are functionally similar, the box version does not support the instrument from below as you suggest.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

You might want to Google French fitted drawers for some ideas on how to cut and wrap the top piece. As an alternative, you could cut a front and a back piece separately and then cut each (roughly) C-shaped piece to fit - then just glue them together to make a one piece top.
Sat, Jan 26, 2008, 8:03pm snipped-for-privacy@soleSPAMLESSassociates.com (Kenneth) doth suggesteth: <snip> If they are functionally similar, the box version does notsupport the instrument from below as you suggest.
Doesn't matter either way, it's woodworking, not rocket science. Just make one if that's what you want. If you're worried about how it will turn out, make one out of cheap wood, or even cardboard. If it doesn't work, make another. When you get one you like, make one with the wood of your choice. You could have made 2 or 3 by now. Personally I wouldn't want a banjo of mine resting on just two points on the side, even with padding, I'd think it would tend to wear the finish, if not scratch it..
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

Fragile? A frying pan with an animal skin stretched over it is fragile?