Touch Up Rattan?

I have some blonde rattan furniture that my parents brought back from Japan when we came back to the States in the mid 1950s. Some of the armrests have been scrubbed a little too vigorously and the finish has come off. Is there a suggested way to touch this up? I'm afraid to just experiment and possibly ruin them. As it is, they're still OK... I just think they could look better if I fixed this. Ideas?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd asks:

What is the current finish? Clear? What kind of finish is on the underside? You might try finding a couple spots that can't be seen, and fiddle with those with different solvents, techniques, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the finish was alcohol soluble, but...check it out where it can't be seen. Worse comes to worst, check out wiping down thoroughly with 0000 steel wool or its equivalent and touching up the underside with shellac.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson