Totally OT Yeah! Canada

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Mildly surprised it was in Calgary, and not somewhere in Quebec.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:44:44 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

In Quebec, the driver would have smashed the first parked car in until he had enough space to make the turn to leave.

Reply to
upscale

I've been to Quebec (Quebec City and Montreal, mostly) about a dozen times. I can't say as I've noticed unusually bad driving, although they don't seem to take much notice of snow and bad weather. I remember one February we were on Autoroute 20 in a driving sleet. You had to do 70 (mph) just to keep up with traffic.

We did see one rather unusual parking job on one of the narrow streets inside the walled part of Quebec. A man was moving a small car from one side of the street to the other; what model I'm not sure, because it was covered in a full three feet of snow. He left the driver's side window open and drove blind while his wife shouted directions to him. "A gauche, Henri. NON! A GAUCHE!"

Reply to
Greg Guarino

The folks I've talked to in western Canada seem to think the Albertans are the worst. But they probably don't see a lot of drivers from Quebec and points east.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:51:33 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Well, I lived in Montreal for ten years, but, that was fifty years ago. ~ Exactly the time when Rene Levesque was in power. Quebecers were very driven then. Anyway, Levesque was one or the reasons why my father packed up his family and moved to Toronto. Glad he did too, as I didn't have to learn French anymore.

The only thing left of my French vocabulary is swearing in French. :)

Reply to
upscale

Reply to
Greg Guarino

snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote in news:0tmj8ad3g2n6b3m0ojeega6gjc5bgq7ta6@

4ax.com:

I live in South Florida, and we have a lot of Quebecois here (at this time of year). And they are absolutely the worlds worst drivers.

Most likely it's because they're all both elderly and lost, but they make the most random moves in traffic.

Well, it's good you kept the important part.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

If they use turn signals they are not true Quebecois. I can say this from the safety of Ontario.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Does anyone use turn signals anymore?

Reply to
krw

FrozenNorth wrote in news:m6d174$adt$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

They most definately do not. We have a lot of roads with three lanes each direction here, and the typical Quebecois behavior is to drive slowly in the middle lane, then without warning either turn left, turn right, or stop. All of which tend to be disruptive to traffic around them.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

3/4 of the turn signal lights here in Saskatchewan are defective, or only come on after the turn has been made...
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:131220141156023197%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

Dunno if this happens in Canada, but one US phenomenon that mystifies me is when someone sits in the left turn lane until the arrow comes on, then puts their left turn signal on, and makes the turn. Why? They've been in the left turn lane for the last two minutes, everyone knows they're going to turn left. Do they think the car won't turn if the turn signal isn't on?

John

Reply to
John McCoy

In the Car Talk column a guy wrote it that his father did that. His reasoning is there ore only so many blinks in the blinker so he did not want to wear it out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Every blink uses a bit more of the blinker fluid, you do not want to run out of that.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He's right, but only technically. You can wear those relays out, but usually by the time that happens the rest of the car is long gone. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm gulty of a different infraction. If I'm sitting in a left turn only lane, I don't use the turn signal at all. If the other drivers assume that I'm going straight through to crash into the opposing left only lane, they're too stupid to know what the signal means anyway.

But I always use it when turning from a lane in which I have a choice of turning or not.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

With the roaring economy of Alberta, a significant % of the population comes from other parts of Canada including Quebec. Graham

Reply to
graham

The police tracked her down and ticketed her, but strangely *not* for hit and run. It was a middle-aged woman. My politically incorrect thought was that she must have been Chinese! Graham

Reply to
graham

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:m6innd$us4$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

I do the same. I figure the turn signal is to tell the other drivers what I'm going to do, and if I'm in a turn lane they already know what I'm going to do.

John

Reply to
John McCoy