Tormek Supergrind problem.

Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!
When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the wheel manually.
I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I didn't know before.
Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?
Anyone know a UK helpline number?
--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our

I wonder if it is the motor or the switch that is the problem.
I have an ancient buffer motor with the same problem. Rather than fix the problem, I start the motor manually in whichever direction is best for the job at hand. If you really want to fix it, a trip to any motor shop is in order. Dave

One of the windings in the motor has a break in the wire. The reason it still runs after rotating the stone is that the remaining windings are still good.
Get it to a motor shop for repair or just replace it.

Is it possible that this is just the Cap that is toast??
Doug
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:33:54 GMT, "Doug Schultz"

Well, that's certainly possible and may be an option to consider. My experience with my companies product has been most often the windings. It's our cross to bear when we deal with armature issues.
From the Tormek web site www.tormek.se
------------------------------------------------------ For technical issues you are welcome to contact us and we will reply to you as soon as possible.
TORMEK AB Box 152 SE-711 23 Lindesberg Sweden Tel: +46 581-147 90 Fax: +46 581-109 30 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tormek.se ------------------------------------------------------
I have found them to be very helpful...
BriMarc are the UK distributors but my advice would be to go directly to the email or phone address above...
Roy

classic symptoms of capacitor failure.

Yep!
Thanks for your suggestions folks.
As the cheapest option I've ordered a 3 capacitor to see if that sorts it and I'll carry on from there. I'll let you know how it goes.
Anyone changed the capacitor? Any problems/hints?