top mounted bi-fold door

I'm building a window seat that has a bi-fold door on one end. I plan on using a piano hinge cut to length for both pieces of the door. I want to know how to mount the door in the window seat itself.

I know one end needs to be attached to the cabinet body with hinges. I was thinking of dadoing channels for the other door piece to ride in using pins or dowels. Am I approaching this correctly?

Has anyone built something like this before? What hardware is available for the tracks and pins. Again, this is for a windowseat/toychest so I don't need links to bi-fold closet doors.

Thanks -ro

Reply to
rolsonDesign

You may not want links to bi-fold closet doors but those are probably the only links that will get you the hardware you 'need'. You could probably get by with a hardwood dowel riding in a waxed hardwood track along the top of the 'second' door. Better might be a track & pin on the top and bottom of the door but now you'll have a dirt & dust trap. Most bi-fold doors have a spring loaded pin on top to ease installation & adjustment and flop around loose at the bottom.

approach seems right for bi-fold doors but I suggest considering bypass doors (hardboard works and takes paint well) or two separate doors.

Reply to
RayV