Tools/Toys Made in China

With all the news about the quality of the products coming from China what should we be concerned about in our woodworking toys.

Reply to
trvlnmny

Pot metal and pig iron masquerading as [high quality] steel, plastics that deteriorate after a few weeks or have deteriorated already when you open the packaging (seen it, no kidding) and paint that will peel off some time between lunchtime and midnight. Pneumatic tyres that don't hold air, ditto the valves, 'bearings' that aren't ...

Ack. Just don't. -P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Why do you ask?

Which news?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Bitch to all the U S companies who are having their tools made in China. China is making very little tools on their own. I always read the labels first, then I decide if I want the item. The only Asian tools I half trust is Taiwan's tools.

Reply to
Dave

Interesting.. you might try replying to the OP once in a while, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

How about Japanese? I LOVE their machinist tools.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I know full well I'm not the guy you directed this at Mac, but it often happens that I see replies to OPs before the OP. And occasionally I never see the OP at all (couple of times over the last month alone). The ideosyncratic way usenet propagates .... ... so long as the correct attributions are left in place, I don't care who replies to what.

cheers, -P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Must be THIS news from CNBC:

Robatoy

favor by selling poisonous goods to us to keep prices at Wal-mart low. Maybe by getting rid of the surplus population there will be more for those who are left? More houses per capita mean lower housing cost, more of everything so prices are lower, wow what a world!

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

No, if you _contract_ for quality, inspect, and hold them to the contract then you get quality. If you pay a high price and don't do your end of the QC job, you get high-priced junk.

It's not just the Chinese who work that way. When Jaguar finally implemented receiving inspection on their electrical components they ended up rejecting almost all of what the Prince of Darkness shipped them. That story is famous in automotive circles--I understand that Lucas nearly went bankrupt before they got their own quality control up to snuff.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just like every other country out there. The U.S. can make excellent quality or we can make junk.

Reply to
Brian Henderson