Toolmaker question

I just bought an antique auger and there is some information engraved on the shaft (I amd assuming that this is a manufacturer's mark) that reads "Tibbals, Brooks & C9" with the number 6 (in script larger than the rest of the lettering) following. That really IS a "C9" and not "Co". Does anyone have any idea who these manufacturers were and where they were located?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (in snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| I just bought an antique auger and there is some information | engraved on the shaft (I amd assuming that this is a manufacturer's | mark) that reads "Tibbals, Brooks & C9" with the number 6 (in | script larger than the rest of the lettering) following. That | really IS a "C9" and not "Co". Does anyone have any idea who these | manufacturers were and where they were located?
In days of yore it was customary to abbreviate 'company' with an uppercase C followed by an underlined and superscripted 'o', optionally followed by a period.
I ran a MetaCrawler search (includes Google) and couldn't turn up anything that looked relevant. Sorry.
Thanks for the reply. This just doesn't look familiar to any of the tool manufacturers from my location here in Massachusetts. 'ppreciate the help.