Tool Rust Comment

Removing or preventing tool rust is a topic that comes up frequently. There are many techniques and products that help keep tools rust free, but I missed seeing one tip that I picked up from this group a while back.
Camphor. I put a small block of camphor in each tool drawer. The tip I used said that the evaporating/dissolving camphor left a deposit on the metal tools and the deposit seemed to keep away the rust.
There are obvious drawbacks to the use of camphor. It works with tools in the tool chest, tool box and any other closed unit. It does not work with hanging tools. Through experience I have found the camphor does not work on tools left on the workbench for long periods. (I actually don't know if there are any tools on the workbench. I haven't seen the top of my bench in four years. Tomorrow I'll get organized)
What do I use to prevent or remove rust? Besides the camphor, I use Slipit, Johnson Paste wax, Top Cote, Top Saver, Rust Off, RustFree, Boeshield T-9, Navel Jelly, dynaGlide Dry Lubricant & Cleaner, Rust-Oleum Rust Stripper, Birchwood Labs Blue & Rust Remover, Never-Dull, WD-40, 3M abrasive pads, steel wool, wet or dry sandpaper, wire brush and elbow grease.
Next, I'm going to try electrolysis. I'm also going to try Mike Taylor's plane restoration service in Katy, Texas to restore a flea market find.
The rust problem was really bad in South Florida. We moved North to Jacksonville and about twenty miles inland. It is a little better here. But then a little rust is such a small price to pay to live in paradise. :-)
Jack Jacksonville, Florida

Here is something interesting that I have recently discovered. Occasionally I have a large project to glue up and use my TS as a work surface. Sometimes the TB II glue drips out of a joint on to the cast iron surface and I don't catch it until after it starts to set. Oddly when I pop the glue off the TS iron surface, it leaves a bright and shiny spot where the glue was.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:12:59 GMT, "Leon"

So, are you advocating...nah, you're not...are you?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

LOL... Nah. But try it is on a small spot. Let dry just enough that it will not smear when you "pop it" off. You'll see a silver surface again.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:12:59 GMT, "Leon"

Are you volunteering your saw to be coated with glue for a long term test?
Barry

LOL. Noooooo.. I am not that concerned with the appearance, but it does work.
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:11:06 GMT, "Leon"

This will probably show up in "American Woodworker" this summer. <G>
Barry

Yeah and some one will probably win a new Ford Pickup and a fully equipped shop. LOL
But on another note. If you could roll the glue over the entire surface and peal it off. Hummm...
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:17:09 GMT, "Leon"

That's approaching the green-magic-marker-on-CDs thing.
You probably have to have spent some time in Stereophile magazine to get that.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

I remember "greening". <G>
Barry
I found the site. You can buy camphor online from http://www.ericscollections.com
John Flatley wrote:

    What luck! I have all of these (except the wire brush) in the drawer of my bedside table.