Tongue n Groove bits

Page 2 of 3
On 1/6/2016 8:42 PM, OFWW wrote:

Without seeing the actual stack first it is hard to say definitively, but I would think that most of the time that it would be more than adequate.
Keep in mind that it most often pays to buy ALL the plywood for the project at one time, and from the same stack.
While not absolutely guaranteeing that all panels will be the same thickness, it increases the odds that will be so ... difference in thickness between plywood panels in the same project can play havoc with your final measurements and squareness of individual components.
If you can't do that, and you're using dadoe/grooves for your cabinets, and after you get dado stack setup to your satisfaction, plow that particular setup groove into a short piece of project stock and take it with you, as a check, when you're buying more plywood to insure that your project dado setup and the new plywood will work.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/6/16 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

Nice execution! The use of proper hardware and finish really put the final 'zing' into this.
My only 'gripe' is the flats at the ends of your upper door arches make the cabinet look kind of sad and lonely....
-BR
On 1/9/2016 9:51 AM, Brewster wrote:

Like a woman's eyebrow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Got a photo of one that you made we can compare with to see how it would look happy?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Just reviewed your photo's again and noted this.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopACCornerCabinet2007?noredirect=1#5656820204145629682
Thanks for the Jig tips, I was wondering.
On 1/9/2016 1:15 PM, OFWW wrote:

Every project of any worth generally has problems to solve.
An ability to be able to devise jigs and fixtures to do things efficiently, safely and repetitively is a valuable skill to learn.
When I get the time, or if asked a questions, or simply in discussion about doing something with a jig, I'll often take photos and post them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#
As they say about pictures ... just a peek at one may open up all kind of possibilities in your mind for solving your own unique problems.
Not to mention that, do it long enough and you will eventually run across something you did years ago and wonder "how the hell did I do that??" ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Thanks once again, this time as I took a quick look at your link, I picked up a good use for mdf, as a pattern. :)
On 1/9/2016 5:04 PM, OFWW wrote:

Great for curved router patterns as it is much easier to "fair" a curve in MDF.
If MDF patterns are going to kept for future projects, I'll take the time to spray them with shellac to keep moisture absorption and fraying of the edges to a minimum.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Great idea, thanks!
On 1/9/16 9:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

Or beerholder....

Nope, they all look kinda sad. It probably comes from much of the A&C's popularity occurring during the Depression Era.
-BR
Brewster wrote:

Esthetics aside, there is a practical reason for not extending arcges all theway to the stiles (IME, at least)...it is very easy for those ends to split off resulting in an unplanned flat.
On 1/9/16 1:43 PM, dadiOH wrote:

True dat.
I've put the flat on many upper arches and doors, just never on two doors side by side where the arch gets interrupted by the door styles. That turns an arch into brows!
-BR

If you like to see arches or arks there are 26 in this picture, not counting those on the does pulls.
https://flic.kr/p/rdWFfp
On 1/10/16 7:04 AM, Leon wrote:

I remember that project. Did you use router templates? -BR
On 1/10/2016 9:26 AM, Brewster wrote:

MDF router templates to fine tune the cut on the lighting arches. I simply used my OS Sander on the small drawers and to fine tune the arks on the doors and center section between the doors.
On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 6:47:26 PM UTC-6, Brewster wrote:

ll

If I may proffer: Like some moon and Mars photos, and mountian photos, man y folks see images, human faces in/among the natural features. I sense th at has happened with Karl's cabinet.
Personally, I like that look, it's different. I can see your brow image, s ince you point it out, same as with human features in those moon, Mars, etc . images.
I'd like to see a SketchUp image of Karl's cabinet with the bottom's edging , the bottom rail, contoured the same as those upper "eye brows", i.e., mat ching features. I'll bet the overall view would reveal just as nice of es thetics. As is, those two "lines" (the eye brows and bottom rail) don't ma tch, and that kinna stands out oddly, for me. With that....
I've often tried different looks on many of my improvised designs/pieces, t hen stand back and see what alterations (improvements??) I can tweak for th e next similar piece, to make it better (for my eye). *Does that make sen se?
Sonny
On 1/10/16 7:05 AM, Sonny wrote:

many folks see images, human faces in/among the natural features.
I sense that has happened with Karl's cabinet.

I can see your brow image, since you point it out, same as with human features in those moon, Mars, etc. images.

the bottom rail, contoured the same as those upper "eye brows", i.e., matching features.
I'll bet the overall view would reveal just as nice of esthetics. As is,
those two "lines" (the eye brows and bottom rail) don't match, and that kinna stands out oddly, for me.
With that....

then stand back and see what alterations (improvements??) I can tweak for the next similar piece, to make it better (for my eye). *Does that make sense?

Sure does!
An earlier attempt at an A&C end table got me to think it looks kind of angry with the lower arch:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/121810
When moving on past square parts and sections, details like arches and flutes can really set things apart (or just look funky). I'm building some end tables now. I like the A&C styles and lately I've really begun to appreciate the enhancements done by Green & Green. Same basic style but far fewer straight lines. I've made some lamps, the first set follow basic designs with a few minor mods:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/212730
The other set went a lot further on the mods:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/198426
I'm close to what I'd consider 'good', but there are always additional tweeks needed.
-BR
On 1/10/2016 9:42 AM, Brewster wrote:

Those lamps are gorgeous ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/10/16 11:12 AM, Swingman wrote:

Thanks! My fingers still hurt from the sanding and fitting.
-BR

I really like the basket weave table top. I might have to steal that idea. The 8 3D boxes that I made a few months ago were so labor intensive that I began designing a basket weave pattern very similar to your table top. But it appears your top might be glued up similar to a cutting board with a fancy pattern.
On 1/10/16 3:35 PM, Leon wrote:

I've made some of the 3D cube cutting boards (in my LumberJocks project file), The fitting is critical and requires some technique for jiggery and clampitude.
The basket weave top was made originally as a cutting board, but got re-purposed when I couldn't find a nice piece of white oak for a pair of table tops. If I go to the trouble of cutting up 10 thousand tiny blocks of wood, I'm going to do it all at once and make a boat load....
Your boxes are the ideal place for this kind of parquetry, some place they'll be appreciated.
-BR