Titebond III

The Nov. issue of Wood magazine (page 8) has an update to the Sep. glue test. Basically give T3 a rating of Top Glue Overall.

Big John

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Reply to
WilliaJ2

How can you trust the study when they change their mind and omit competitors (e.g. Gorilla glue)?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Never Enough Money did say:

I'm pretty sure gorilla was included in the first article. The change did seem rather abrupt though. Wonder if Franklin's lawyers called, or more likely, their marketing department called and threatened to pull advertising... Most of the facts that changed their mind were from different studies. They decided to ignore the results of their own testing.

Reply to
WoodMangler

GG was in a different category since it is a polyurethane glue. It performed well in the original tests.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snip

Exactamundo !!! The tests are from the Industry Standard tests. Guess who defines the standards? Not woodworkers. It is Meaningless babblecock.

The ANSI/HPVA Type I or Type II testing is done by the HPVA (Hardwood Plywood Veneer Associaition) and if you go to their website (hpva.org) any type of information requires purchase. This is not consumer friendly, yet Titebond uses it to market it as the "Best Glue Ever". So, take it for what its worth. I know there are people who swear by Titebond and I have TBII which is good. But is it that good?

The other thing I notice that since the original testing there has not been a TB add in the Wood Magazine. We'll know when the next issue comes out and the TBIII "Best Glue Ever" marketing spew is back.

Reply to
RKON

What is funny about the water proof test is that the only time you see the words "Water Proof" is in the name of the test. When you read the details of the "Water Proof" test, the words "Water Resistance" are used.

Reply to
Leon

I decided against getting Wood magazine, and I'm sorta glad after this thread. Personally, I prefer Woodsmith, precisely because it has no ads- therefore no ad departments to put pressure on their content!

Reply to
Prometheus

No ads but plenty of referrals of where to get supplies from. And I bet that there is something going on in that respect.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW, Consumer Reports has no ads and yet they're often way off base.

Reply to
J. Clarke